Saturday, May 11, 2013

Running while Pregnant Update

I've been quiet this week- I had planned on posting some projects, but they got delayed by all the rain we received this week. So, pics next week!

This morning I spent some time on the treadmill, and it almost felt as good as it did back in January. This is exciting for me since even though I've continued to spend time on the treadmill, more and more of that time has been spent walking and it hasn't been feeling as comfortable.

My legs let me know they weren't used to so much running, but other than that, it actually felt pretty good and I was able to run longer and faster than I have in quite some time.

Why the difference? I credit the maternity support belt I've been wearing for the last week and a half. I don't wear it all the time, but if I know I'll be doing a lot of standing and walking, or am on the treadmill, I make sure it's on.

My hips started hurting several weeks ago- pretty constant pain that was a lot worse if I did any amount of standing. Since wearing the support belt the pain is almost completely gone- I even managed to run some errands the other day without it on and without any pain. Since shopping was a major problem before I started wearing the belt, that's pretty significant.

So, what kind of belt did I get? I did some research, checking out a few running blogs and reviews on Amazon, and narrowed it down to the It's You Babe Best Cradle and the Gabrialla maternity belt. I ultimately decided on the medium support Gabrialla -- because it was supposed to be more adjustable.

When it arrived, I tried it on, and the pressure immediately made my hips feel better. Slightly silly, but totally true. After the first time wearing it, I've been wearing it upside down. I'm not sure if it's because I have such a short torso or what, but when it was right side up, the back part stuck out weirdly. When it's upside down, that's not an issue. Perhaps when the baby is bigger (and I'm bigger) it will be more comfortable right side up.

The only problem I've had with it is that because it's stiff, it's not super comfortable to wear while sitting for long periods. But like I said, I don't wear it all day, so it hasn't been a huge issue.

It's quite comfortable when running and I barely notice it's there, though it makes running a lot more comfortable than it used to be.

I have a 5k in three weeks, and at this point I'm feeling more optimistic about my ability to run at least part of it. Before today I was thinking I might have to do a lot of walking. Now I have a lot more confidence in my running ability. I just need to add some hill work into my training the next three weeks. I ran this race last year and there are definitely some hills. Though I won't be pushing LMS in the jogger this time around. I'm not completely crazy- just a little :) She'll wait out the race with some friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment