Tuesday, May 28, 2013

More Food Issues

LMS and Nanny playing chess

Recently we've been eating forested pork sausage for breakfast with some veggies sauteed in the leftover healthy fat. Very filling and yummy.

Except.

It was making me nauseated and my stomach had started hurting again.

I've been struggling to eat enough as it is because of a lack of appetite, losing my go-to breakfast really did not help matters.

The other day it finally dawned on me that I should check the ingredients.

You'd think that after four years of being gluten free it would be second nature to check ingredients lists. For the most part it is, but this sausage came from our CSA and I didn't think to check.

Th ingredients are pretty simple: pork, salt, sage, black pepper, red pepper, coriander, dextrose.

So, no hidden gluten, but there were some other questionable ingredients. Dextrose is a corn-based sugar that we try to avoid, but it doesn't give me the problems I was experiencing. The red pepper and coriander (which is the seed phase of cilantro), on the other hand, have given me problems in the past.

Disappointing and discouraging, but that's my life right now. I've been doing some research and I think I've found another source for good (i.e., pastured or forested) pork. I just need to contact them about their spice blend for sausage.

If they check out, we'll do a bulk order from them for part of a pig as well as 30 or so pastured chickens. We bought an upright freezer not too long ago since our tiny chest freezer is full of beef and elk. I have {hopefully not too ambitious} plans to fill the freezer with pork, chicken, fruit, and veggies this summer. While the meat won't take any work on my part, other than driving to pick it up, the fruit and veggies will require some work before they can be chucked in the freezer. Hopefully I have the energy :)

Notice the lone pawn Nanny has captured from LMS. LMS ended up winning the game :)

No comments:

Post a Comment