Monday, June 4, 2018

June 5k


We've had so much rain lately. Rain every day for a week, a week or so ago, then more rain followed by deluges that dumped even more rain on us this past week. We've had flooding and flash floods and all the rivers are running over their banks. Mud slides and road closures are an issue in some areas, but thankfully not in our immediate area.

We were supposed to do some kayaking on Wednesday with our history club, but we've had to postpone the trip until the water levels go down. Mr M couldn't go to work Thursday or Friday because the servers had been flooded. Thankfully, our house is on top of a hill, so we haven't had any flooding, though our gravel driveway is starting to look like some back woods road that might take out your muffler or oil pan.

In the middle of all this rain, on Tuesday I got hit with the worst migraine I've ever had. I'm not sure what triggered it, but it was bad. It was still hanging around on Wednesday, though not as bad, so I got on my bike and knocked out 10 slow miles. I felt better for getting some exercise and sweating, but the nausea and light sensitivity were still an issue.

On Thursday the migraine was still hanging around, so I went to the chiropractor and got an adjustment and some acupuncture beads in my ears. They've helped in the past, and they didn't let me down this time, either. That evening I walked on the treadmill while doing some work on my laptop. It had been awhile since I was last on the treadmill, and with a race on Saturday I wanted to get a few miles in.


Saturday I ran my June 5k, which makes it the 7th year in a row that I've run this race. This is nearly always a hot and humid day, but this year it wasn't quite as hot as some years (only around 70-75*). However, it was probably the highest humidity yet: ~90%. The forecast actually called for rain during the race, but the rain didn't come until an hour after I finished the race. There was so much sweating going on. I've run a lot of races over the years, but this was the first race where I actually could smell everyone's sweat as I walked around the finish area.

This was definitely not my fastest time on this course, though it also wasn't my slowest. That race was when I was 34 weeks pregnant with Ocean. Yeah, I am definitely out of shape. My mile times reflect the terrain of the course: the first half mile or so is downhill, which gives a good jumpstart before the inevitable slowing as you go back up that hill. The rolling hills that follow are just relentless, with no flat spots in between. After the race I walked around for .75 miles, trying to stretch everything out a bit after the unaccustomed exercise. I was only partially successful. My plantar fasciitis isn't as sore as I thought it would be, but my calves and thighs are making me go up and down the stair sideways because they're so sore. One more indication that it's been way too long...

I ran and walked 3.05 miles in 40:21.
1st mile: 11:29
2nd mile: 14:05
3rd mile: 14:25

2018  40:21, just me, but so out of shape
2017 33:46, just me!
2016 39:21, pushed Ocean in the jogger
2015 41:19, pregnant with Ocean (34 weeks)
2014 38:11, pushed River in the jogger
2013 40:02, pregnant with River (23 weeks)
2012 39:23, pushed Sunshine in the jogger

I really haven't done any running to speak of since the 10k I ran back in March, but this race felt pretty good. I could tell I hadn't run in forever, but it didn't feel awful to be running again, so that's always a plus. And it's a good jump-start to my half marathon training program. It's time to buckle down and start getting my miles in- there's only 14 weeks till my next half marathon. I've been letting too many things push my workouts to the back burner, and it's time for that to stop.

in the middle of the race you have the option of doing a portion of the course on a trail, or sticking to the pave road
I opt for the trail every chance I can (ie, when I'm not pushing a child in a stroller)

Weekly Mileage
Wednesday- 10.00 miles on the bike
Thursday- 3.22 miles walked
Saturday- 3.80 miles walked and run
    total- 17.02 miles

5 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
75.66 foot miles towards #365milechallenge
120.00 bike miles towards #365milechallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment