Thursday, June 28, 2018

Easy Race Medal Display

A while ago I was trying to come up with a better way of displaying all my race medals than this:

That's the corner of the mirror in our bedroom

After googling around for some ideas, I decided to rummage through my wood stash and see what I could come up with.

I cut the wood pieces to size, and then put them away and didn't do anything with them for months. I just needed to paint the flat board before assembling it, but I never quite got around to it.


Recently I decided to sell this buffet that's been sitting in our living room for the last couple years. The original intent was to use it as the vanity in the master bath when we re-do it, but after having it around for awhile I've realized it's too tall to use as a vanity and you can't cut the legs down and still have them look good. Since I'm also tired of it taking up space in the living room, it was time to get rid of it.

I started prepping it to paint and then remembered to take a quick pic

But first I needed to paint it. The wood isn't in the greatest shape and I decided it would look better if it was painted. I'll share the end result in another post. Since I was in painting mode, I took a couple minutes to paint the flat board.

Two coats of paint and a coat of clear wax later, the board was finished. Finally.

I attached hooks at either end of the board and then rested the wood dowel in the hooks. The wood is hand scraped lodgepole pine, part of a bundle we purchased years and years ago for a project that we started but never finished before moving and no longer needing the project. We've carted the wood around since then, but it's past time to find uses for all of it so it doesn't go to waste.


This really was a simple project and only took a few minutes here and there to cut, paint, and assemble. I'm pleased with how it turned out and I'm glad I can finally cross it off my to do list.

there's room for a few more, then I'll have to start squishing them together a bit

I'll eventually winnow my collection down to just half and full marathons and 52 hike challenge, but it's fine for now




No comments:

Post a Comment