Monday, March 28, 2016

Obstacle Race Recap

wet, muddy, and cold :)

Saturday we participated in an obstacle run. I did the 5k version while Mr M helped the kiddos complete the 1/2 mile kids version. This race was run at the same park that my February 5k was run at, but most of the course was different.

The 5k course had a giant teeter totter, hanging tires (so much harder than tires laying on the ground), over/under ropes, walls to climb, monkey bars, mud crawl, balance beam, hay bales to climb and jump from one to the next, steeplechase pool and jump, and a 100 foot water slide.

It was cold (mid 40's) but sunny, with a breeze that made everything colder, especially once you got wet. Thankfully the wet parts were right at the end of the race.

Lately I've been leaving everyone home while I go run races. It's a lot easier to get out of the house in a timely fashion and we don't have to deal with tired, cranky, cold children. Win-win for everyone.

Since this race had a kids obstacle race and didn't start super early, so we all went to this race and had a lot of fun. Well, I don't think Ocean had much fun since he was in the stroller the whole time, but everyone else had fun. The results haven't been posted yet, but I'm pretty sure River was the youngest participant. Sunshine ran her first race at about the same age he is now, but her first race was a lot shorter.

Sunshine running her first race in January 2009

River running his first race

The kids race was basically the last half mile of the 5k course, but they skipped the balance beam that was right at the start of their race. So they climbed the hay bales and jumped from one to the next. Or swung from one to the next, in River's case.




They also did the steeplechase pool and jump, though I didn't get pictures of that since I was getting in position to take pictures of them coming down the 100 foot water slide.

Sunshine coming down the slide.

River got stuck and stopped sliding half way down, so he stood up and walked the rest of the way. We were all worried he'd slip and fall head over heels, but he made it down in one piece.


Mr M coming down the slide. He took off his sweatshirt and tried to keep it dry by holding it up in the air, but it didn't work- it still got wet.

This 100 foot water slide was just plastic and water from a local fire engine truck with a little soap mixed in, but it was lots of fun. One thing though, this hill that was so fun to slide down was a pain when we had to run up it at the end of the February 5k. What am I saying? I didn't run up it, I walked up it.


Sunshine finished before River, but came back to help walk him through the finish.

The kiddos had fun, but the cold made things a bit iffy at the end when they were soaking wet. Despite getting chilled at the end, we all had fun and look forward to doing this race again. It was a spur of the moment decision to have River run it, so next time we'll plan ahead and make sure he's dressed more appropriately.

I hadn't run since my March 5k two weeks earlier, so once again I was just going into this with the goal of finishing. Yet another round of crud has again put a crimp in my training plans. This round of crud ended up in my lungs, which was lots of fun. Between the lack of training, lung crud, shinsplints (from sprinting into the finish of the 4k walk), and wearing old shoes without orthotics (I didn't want to ruin them in the water portions of the race) I had no expectations. And I knew that the obstacles would slow things down anyway, so I was happy with my 44:06 finish time. My lungs didn't bother me too much and neither did my shins. The softer surfaces of grass, gravel and dirt were a lot easier on my shins than pavement or cement. Overall, I felt pretty good, though the hanging tire obstacle showed me I need to work on my upper body strength. 

Last week I didn't manage any treadmill time since I was feeling crummy. I did manage to hike the same loop we did two weeks ago. There was one uphill portion that had me shaking a bit when I finally got the stroller to the top. Three months of illness has really sapped my strength and endurance, which is so frustrating.

1.21 mile hike + 3.1 mile race= 4.31 miles for the week

7 Races in 2016


Month
Event
Time
January
New Year’s Day 5k
33:01
February
Frostbite 5k
37:37
February
Mud Run
1:35:37
March
4k Walk
33:19
March
March 5k
33:49
March
Pi Day Virtual 5k
1:01:30
March
Obstacle Race
44:06










18 races towards my 40 by 40 goal



Date
Event
Distance
Event Type
1.
July 2015
4th of July 5k
5k
Pregnant
2.
August
4 Mile Fun Run
4 miles
Road Race
3.
September
All Terrain
5k
Mixed surface
4.
October
Hill Valley Half
13.1 miles
Virtual half marathon
5.
October
Corn Maze 5k
5k
Corn Maze
6.
October
Kilted Trail 5k
5k
Kilted race
7.
November
Trail Half
13.6 miles
Trail Half
8.
November
Turkey Trot
5k
Road Race
9.
December
Veteran’s 5k
5k
Mixed surface
10.
December
Army Virtual Marathon
26.23 miles
Virtual marathon
11.
January 2016
New Year’s Day 5k
5k
Road race
12.
February
Frostbite 5k
5k
Cross country race
13.
February
Mud Run
4.8 miles
Mud run
14.
March
4k Walk
4k
Walk
15.
March
March 5k
5k
Road race
16.
March
Pi Day Virtual 5k
5k
Virtual 5k Walk
17.
March
10 mile race
Not applicable
Water stop volunteer
18.
March
Obstacle Race
5k
Obstacle run

No comments:

Post a Comment