Monday, March 7, 2016

4K Walk Recap

it was also an overcast day

Saturday I walked a 4k. I had the option of running an 8k or walking the 4k and since I'm still recovering from the crud I opted for the shorter walk. Either distance would have been fine for my 40 by 40 goal, so I wasn't invested in one over the other.

This was the first time I signed up for the walk portion of a race, so that was a bit different. It was a bit weird not to come off the starting line at a run, but not the first time that's happened. I walked the Fourth of July 5k (because I was 38 weeks pregnant and didn't want to induce labor), but that's the only other race I've walked.

I ended up walking the same pace as an older guy and we walked (at a fast pace) most of the race together. As we came to the final straightaway to the finish line, he said we should run into the chute, so we both started booking it and even beat one of the faster 8k runners to the chute. We definitely had an unfair advantage though :) It was fun to have that much energy for a final sprint.

The weather was good, but on the cold side in the mid-30's. The half of the course I walked was pretty good, not as hilly as some courses around here, though not as flat as a couple I've run. I'm hoping to be in better shape (and healthier) next year, so I'll run the 8k next time.

4k is about 2.49 miles, so this race was a bit short at 2.24 miles, which I completed in 33:19.
1st mile: 14:58
2nd mile: 15:11
.24 mile: 3:11

I've got a lot of races coming up over the next couple months as I try to front load my goal. I'd rather finish ahead of schedule rather than not meet it, and I never know what could come up to change my availability for racing. Work schedules, family schedules, it's all a balancing act.  I'm currently on track to be about 3/4 of the way to my goal of 40 races by the time I hit the 1 year mark at the end of June. This will leave me 10-12 races left with an average of just one a month, which should be easy to accomplish even if we do get some curve balls thrown at us.

2016 Races


Month
Event
Time
January
New Year’s Day 5k
33:01
February
Frostbite 5k
37:37
February
Mud Run
1:35:37
March
4k Walk
33:19







40 by 40 Goal



Date
Event
Distance
Event Type
1.
July 2015
4th of July 5k
5k
Pregnant
2.
August
4 Mile Fun Run
4 miles
Road Race
3.
September
All Terrain
5k
Mixed surface
4.
October
Hill Valley Half
13.1 miles
Virtual half marathon
5.
October
Corn Maze 5k
5k
Corn Maze
6.
October
Kilted Trail 5k
5k
Kilted race
7.
November
Trail Half
13.6 miles
Trail Half
8.
November
Turkey Trot
5k
Road Race
9.
December
Veteran’s 5k
5k
Mixed surface
10.
December
Army Virtual Marathon
26.23 miles
Virtual marathon
11.
January 2016
New Year’s Day 5k
5k
Road race
12.
February
Frostbite 5k
5k
Cross country race
13.
February
Mud Run
4.8 miles
Mud run
14.
March
4k Walk
4k
Walk

No comments:

Post a Comment