Monday, March 21, 2016

Volunteering at a Race

water table waiting for the first finishers
once things got busy we had a hard time keeping cups filled

Saturday I volunteered at a race. It was a 10 mile race that I've heard is quite difficult, so I didn't want to run it without proper training. Since I've been sick for the last three months, I'm definitely not trained.

I'd been looking for volunteer opportunities for our Cub Scouts and came across the option of volunteering at the race. We ended up not volunteering as a pack, but I went ahead and signed up to volunteer at a water stop.

It was good to see things from the other side. I've only ever run races, never volunteered at one. Mr M and Sunshine volunteered at the half marathon I ran in Tennessee a year and a half ago, but that's the only race volunteering any of us have done.

The day was overcast, cold, and breezy, but the rain held off until later in the day, so at least we stayed dry. Volunteering was a good, if chilly, experience, though the water stop I was at was the one at the finish. While that was fine, I would have preferred one during the race so I could cheer runners on.

Even though I didn't actually run this race, I am including it in my 40 by 40 goal. The goal is to complete a variety of race types, and I think standing outside for several hours pouring water and gatorade qualifies as finishing something. Not the typical race experience, but a race experience nonetheless.

I've still been feeling crummy, so I didn't run, walk, or hike this week :(  And unfortunately, standing out in the cold Saturday morning wasn't helpful for my poor, beleaguered immune system and now I'm sicker than I was before.

17th race of my 40 by 40 goal



Date
Event
Distance
Event Type
1.
July 2015
4th of July 5k
5k
Pregnant
2.
August
4 Mile Fun Run
4 miles
Road Race
3.
September
All Terrain
5k
Mixed surface
4.
October
Hill Valley Half
13.1 miles
Virtual half marathon
5.
October
Corn Maze 5k
5k
Corn Maze
6.
October
Kilted Trail 5k
5k
Kilted race
7.
November
Trail Half
13.6 miles
Trail Half
8.
November
Turkey Trot
5k
Road Race
9.
December
Veteran’s 5k
5k
Mixed surface
10.
December
Army Virtual Marathon
26.23 miles
Virtual marathon
11.
January 2016
New Year’s Day 5k
5k
Road race
12.
February
Frostbite 5k
5k
Cross country race
13.
February
Mud Run
4.8 miles
Mud run
14.
March
4k Walk
4k
Walk
15.
March
March 5k
5k
Road race
16.
March
Pi Day Virtual 5k
5k
Virtual 5k Walk
17.
March
10 mile race
Not applicable
Water stop volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment