Monday, May 11, 2015

Running with Bob and Phil

I mentioned last Monday that I wouldn't be doing any running this past week, and that proved to be the case. We were super busy trying to get some projects done, so while I definitely got a workout, it wasn't through running. I've got some posts planned for this week that share what we worked on.

In the meantime, I thought I'd compare my running experiences with both strollers.

I ran the April 5k with Bob, who has been along on many, many other races and training runs.

I ran the May 5k with Phil, which was our first time going for a run together. Since I had no expectations for the race I decided it was worth the risk of possible problems. If I'd wanted to do well, I wouldn't have used a race as the first time seeing how it did.

Here's my totally unscientific thoughts, based on my totally lopsided experiences with the two strollers.

Bob has a fixed wheel, which means that when I'm not running in an absolutely straight line, I'm constantly making small adjustments as I run. It has a stiff feel to it and I need to two-hand the turns and some of the steering adjustments. I've been doing this long enough that I can do a lot of the adjustments one handed and without thinking about it, but it does take some getting used to.  The stroller itself is sturdy and has a solid feel to it- it doesn't feel wobbly or loose.

Phil has a front wheel that can be locked in place, but even when locked there's a bit of play in the front wheel. This makes one-handed steering more responsive, but it can also allow the stroller to veer off if I don't pay attention. It's a lot looser feel, which is quite a change from Bob, but not unpleasant. The frame doesn't feel quite as sturdy as Bob's, but it's still a solid stroller.

The true test will come when Phil accompanies us on a run while fully loaded with two little boys. I'll walk my August and September races (both new races in my schedule this year), but I figure I should be running by the Halloween race, so it'll be interesting to see how that transition goes.

When we bought Phil I was concerned about his running abilities, but so far he's doing pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment