Friday, March 8, 2013

Hanging shelf for play kitchen


Not long after I built the play kitchen for LMS for Christmas (last year), she requested a shelf that would hang above the play kitchen that she could put her dishes on. I promised her I'd make one, but then never got around to it.

This summer when I was building a couple other projects I built LMS her shelf. It was a pretty simple build and took just a few minutes to put together. I used pieces of leftover beadboard for the backing and then added trim to make it look nicer- that took longer than the build itself did.

I've realized that building stuff usually goes pretty quickly, it's the finish work- the trim, the putty/caulk, the sanding, the painting- that takes time.

That said, I still finished the shelf last fall sometime, but never got around to actually hanging it on the wall till a couple weeks ago. Yes, I am a huge slacker/procrastinator sometimes.

I think it turned out great and LMS loves it. Now she doesn't have to store her dishes in the oven- which is just not the thing to do, in her mind :)


What part of your projects takes the longest?

1 comment:

  1. Cute! We need something like that for our play kitchen, too. The part of my projects that takes the longest is usually the part where I finally talk myself into getting started. I don't know why that is, but sometimes it's a real struggle! Maybe because I know that once I get going someone is going to need me for something. Leave me alone so I can make something nice for you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete