Thursday, July 8, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yesterday was my first attempt at de-glutening a recipe I used to use pre-gluten free days. LMS calls these "Daddy Cookies" because these are the cookies we made and sent him on several occasions.

This particular recipe makes 12-14 dozen cookies. That's not a typo: 12-14 dozen! I usually halve the recipe, bake a dozen, roll the rest of the dough into balls and freeze for later use. Since I didn't know how this experiment would work out, I looked over the ingredients and realized I could easily cut the recipe in quarters. Instead of 12 dozen cookies, I made 3 dozen.

When doing gluten free baking, you can't just substitute rice flour for the wheat flour, you need to substitute a mix of flours and starches, and usually you need to add xanthan gum. I've seen many different 'recipes' for flour mixes, but in this case I used one I bought: Jules Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour. Since it's a pre-made mix, I was able to do a one-to-one substitution.

The results were great! The taste and texture are almost exactly what I remember from the last time I made them (more than a year ago, but still...).

Not that I need to be eating cookies, but it's nice to know that I have more options available.

1 comment:

  1. The homemade yogurt looks delicious! Did the yogurt maker come with recipes? I'm just curious what exactly it takes to make yogurt.

    (for some reason I can't figure out how to leave a comment on your other blog, hence the yogurt comment here:)

    ReplyDelete