Monday, October 5, 2009

Project progress

(photo from Amazon.com)

I finally ordered my own cell phone- I haven't had one for several years- haven't needed one- but now it's time to get one. I got the Blackberry Pearl 8130. It was pretty cheap and it's web browsing capable, so now I can get online and see if something I found is selling good on ebay- answering the question that always holds me up- to buy or not to buy? (and then re-sell on ebay...)

The other ward had their Super Saturday projects out a week ago, and one of them was a bead and wire crown with a little tulle at the back. I looked at it and figured I could make one without someone showing me, so I bought some wire and some beads, dug out my tulle that's been sitting around for who-knows-how-long, and got going with the first pair of pliers I found. Unfortunately for my hand, that turned out to be Mr. M's military multi-tool. While effective, the handle has nothing by way of padding, so I have a blister on a finger and some nice bruising and sore spots on my palm and fingers.

A couple hours after starting, here's what I came up with (a bit different than the one I saw, but better, I think):









LMS modeling her crown outside. She was convinced it was going to blow away and insisted on holding it onto her head.

I started the gold 'Sleeping Beauty' crown for LMS's Halloween costume. I started by spraying some tan craft foam gold, but I need another coat or two before moving on. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

I also started a tree/leaf poster for singing time. The leaves are removable and have song names on them, and the kids take turns picking leaves. I had a 'fish aquarium' that I used for a month or two, and in another month or so I'll do some snowflakes. The fish/leaves/snowflakes attach to a piece of foam core with velcro dots, making for easy removal and replacement. I use it primarily in nursery, but also once a month for singing time in Primary. I didn't take the fish aquarium to church last Sunday because I wanted to teach them a couple new songs, and the kids all asked for the fishies. It always amazes me what makes an impression on little kids. I'll post a pic when I'm done with this one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment