Thursday, October 29, 2009

The storm of the decade

It's been snowing since about midnight Tuesday night, and the storm has been a doozy- more than this area's seen in years.

Here's a window well for the basement last night:

And here it is earlier this evening:

The fish pond yesterday:

The fish pond today (only a small section at the bottom of the picture not covered in snow):

The plants next to the fish pond yesterday:The same plants today:The bench next to the fish pond yesterday:

The bench today:The only problem with all this snow is that it's so early in the season. LMS and I don't have boots yet. Well, they're ordered now, but haven't arrived yet. Mr. M had to dig out his military winter gear so he could help his dad clear some driveways. I know I have mittens somewhere, but I have no idea which box or bin they're in at this point. I thought we'd be moved by the time it got cold and snowy, so I packed up the fleece liner for my coat and my wool peacoat (maybe my mittens are with them?), and the box is buried under a bunch of other boxes. Is it worth the effort to dig them out? Not sure yet...

LMS keeps wanting to build a 'slowman', but unfortunately the snow is powder dry. Doesn't stop her from trying though.

Tomorrow, if it's stopped blowing, we're going to pull out the bike trailer and switch the tires for the skis, hook up the harness, and dig out my snowshoes and cross country skis. It's been so long since I last went cross country skiing that I don't remember how they do on dry powder. Guess we'll find out. I'll have Mr. M wear my snowshoes. They're not rated for his weight, but we haven't bought him any yet, so we'll just have to see how it all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment