Thursday, March 28, 2013

Craving GAPS

We got another snow storm Sunday! This was taken Sunday afternoon, and by Monday morning there was even more snow.

When the nausea, sensitivity to food smells, and lack of appetite set in around the 6th or 7th week, I knew I was looking at 6-8 weeks of not eating right and just trying to get *some* of the nutrients I need. I wasn't looking forward to it, but knew that given our current situation there really wasn't another option.

While the nausea has let up a lot, I am still struggling with a lack of appetite- food just doesn't sound that good/appetizing. It's been enough of a problem that we've been eating out one meal a day 4 or 5 days a week just to make sure I'm getting enough protein. It's been killing the food budget, but at least I have the energy to still function. We've been alternating between bunless burgers and fries at 5 Guys, burrito bowls at Chipotle, and gluten free pad thai at Noodles and Co.

Uggh. I'm definitely ready to stop eating all that rice and potatoes. Though I have noticed I've been reacting a bit better to the potatoes than the rice. And the rice and potatoes have helped with the nausea, interestingly enough.

My body really wants to be back on GAPS, but my brain/hormones/whatever is causing the nausea and lack of appetite is resisting. I felt so much better when we were doing GAPS, and I want to feel like that again. If only I could get all parts of my body on the same page....

I've set the goal to get back on GAPS the week after Easter. I'll be officially in the second trimester by then and since the nausea has been letting up (it got worse over time, it didn't hit me like a bag of bricks), I have hope that in another week and a half things will have improved enough for me to be able to handle cooking and eating normal food again.

Hopefully my appetite comes back too.

Wow, that's not something I ever thought I'd say.

I wrote that a few days ago, but hadn't posted this yet, so here's a bit more I want to add.

Another reason we need to get back on GAPS? The last few days I've realized that the main source of nausea is the food I'm eating, not the pregnancy. How do I know? It's no longer just nausea, it's the pain in the stomach that comes when I eat something that my body just can't handle. At this point, the main culprit is dairy, though rice products aren't far behind.

I figure if I can get all the foods that don't agree with me out of my system, the nausea should be completely gone and my motivation to do stuff (like prepare and eat real food) should return. I tend to lose motivation to do things when I'm eating foods that don't agree with me, so I'm really thankful I've managed to be as productive as I have been lately.

The Little Miss will deny it, but I know she's looking forward to eating real food again too. Gluten free chicken nuggets and corn dogs have lost their appeal- she's actually been turning them down :)

No comments:

Post a Comment