Monday, October 18, 2021

Weekly Mileage #238 and the Store Party


Monday I couldn't go on a trail run since it rained Sunday.

Tuesday we went to music lessons in person, but I didn't walk in the woods with the boys during Sunshine's lesson. I didn't sleep well Monday night and I was tired. The boys entertained themselves quite nicely.

During karate class we did a high intensity warm up and the room was hot. Between the two of those, I was wiped out.

Wednesday I went to sleep earlier than I have been, but I still had a slow start to the day. I was still feeling wiped out from not enough sleep Monday night, a busy day Tuesday, and the intense karate class.

Since I wasn't feeling energetic, I did some more reading in the ADHD book my sister recommended. 

Thursday I finally managed a trail run with Max. Afterwards I fixed the chicken coop door window (it's an old door with a single pane window and Ocean had stuck his hand through it last week, thankfully without injuring himself). Honestly, it's a miracle the window lasted as long as it did. I replaced the brittle old glass with a sheet of plexiglass so we don't have a repeat. 

I love foggy mornings


I also spread grass seed over about half the yard (and ordered another bag to do the other half) in an effort to finally improve the state of our "lawn" that is mostly weeds and moss. I mean to do this every year, but every year I forget/run out of time.

I also helped the boys make things for the store party we attended Friday morning.

River cut yarn for the tops of his bookmarks after cutting the leather and punching holes (with my help)



Ocean had to lean into the hand press to install the snaps on the bracelets he'd punched out earlier (with my help, of course)


holding the bracelets and bookmarks they made

Friday we went to a friend's house for their annual store party (we've attended for several years). The kids bring things they made and you go around purchasing those things with leaves. It's funny to see the things that attract the kids and those that are less interesting to them.

Afterwards I rested for a bit, then did some house cleaning since we have company coming soon.

Karate class was the same tough workout from Tuesday and it was still intense. 

I worked on updating the video for next week's Leatherwork 101 lesson and re-did the pdf outline.

Saturday I slept in a little. I thought about going for a run, but I was too tired after Friday's karate workout.

Sunshine and I helped finish the Eagle project we helped with a few weeks ago. Afterwards I did some more photo and video editing for next week's lesson.

Jeremy's parents arrived in the evening.

Sunday we went to church with Jeremy's parents and some friends of theirs that they knew when they lived in Japan 40+ years ago. They came from Florida to visit with them and us.

One of my sisters flew in shortly after midnight, after multiple delays.

~~~~~

As I've been reading about ADHD (a lot about adult women with ADHD, but also some about children) I've been consciously making an effort to identify why I've been doing certain things.

I go to bed at a decent time, then spend hours reading or playing games on my phone instead of going to sleep. If I do in fact have ADHD, I believe this is my brain searching for stimulation or "fun". Sleep is not "fun", so let's do something else instead, regardless of the consequences. 

I think the same thought process applies to the creative slump I've been experiencing. I really need to work on my social media and pinterest stuff, but they're not fun (I dislike and/or don't understand them) and will take some concentrated effort to understand and move forward. My burned out brain would rather go for the easy "fun" stimulation rather than the harder, more effort needed tasks.

Tardiness is an issue for many with ADHD and I realized I've developed really good coping skills over the years to deal with the disorganization in my brain. I have paper planners going back to high school that I've used to track appointments, deadlines, meetings, etc. These days I also have alarms on my phone set to go off before I need to do something. If it's a zoom meeting at home, it's usually just a 15 minute and 5 minute alarm. If it's something outside the home like church or karate class, I factor in travel time, then add alarms 15, 30, 60, and 90 minutes out.

~~~~~

While I think I'm ADHD inattentive type, Ocean is definitely ADHD hyperactive type.

Some of his symptoms: random emotional outbursts (which I do have), inappropriate interruptions (Always. Every adult in his life knows that at some point in a conversation, Ocean will interrupt and want to tell them something about Castle Crashers), inability to focus on one task for long periods of time, especially if it's not "fun" (guitar practice lasts 10 minutes, if we're lucky, but he'll spend hours on a video game if we let him), impulsive actions (we've been working with him for years on this- "Why did you do this?" "I don't know". I'm pretty sure it's also why he's the only one of our kids to color on the walls). 

We need to get him evaluated, but there's no rush. At this point, increased awareness is helpful.

Weekly Mileage 

Thursday-   1.68 miles                        .5 hours
Friday-                                                2.0 hours
Saturday-                                            4.0 hours
       total- 1.68 miles                      6.5 hours

2021 totals
239.0 outside hours
221.86 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment