Monday, October 4, 2021

Weekly Mileage #236 and Trail Runs with Max

Despite not sleeping well Sunday night, I did manage to get up Monday morning and take Max for a trail run. It wasn't as early as I'd like, but we made it, which is what counts.

We pulled the container a little straighter with the RV, though it's still not super straight. It's not a huge deal, though, so it's staying. We moved the Subaru cover next to the container and tied that side of the cover to the container. We staked down the other side with some heavy duty screw-in stakes. Even with the high winds we sometimes get, it shouldn't be going anywhere. We parked the RV next to the Subaru cover so it's closer to the house and the extension cord won't get run over as we drive in and out (we'd like to install an electrical stanchion next to the RV pad, but that's not in the budget right now). We'll probably have to move it back to its former spot next month when we have family visit. We couldn't get it to level properly, probably because of the nasty gravel (way too moveable, which is why we wanted the RAM, which compacts down easily and stays in place) and we're still looking for RAM...

After dinner we took the boys to a small local cemetery to take photos of headstones to get some service hours in for karate (Sunshine and I did our service on Saturday at the Eagle Project).

Tuesday I went on a trail run with Max. I actually slept decently, for me, and woke up feeling ok. We didn't do music lessons since Sunshine still wasn't feeling well, and I did the grocery shopping instead.


Wednesday I was tired after two workouts on Tuesday (trail run in the am and karate class in the evening). So I'll have to avoid that, at least for now, while I build my stamina back up. I dragged the whole morning as a result. It's frustrating that I'm still so limited, but at least I'm able to exercise in the first place. The next thing to test is whether I can do karate in the evening and have the energy to go running the next morning. If that's not doable, that will be a lot more problematic, since that will eliminate four days of each week from running. Add in one more day off for Sunday, and I'll only be able to run two days a week: Mondays and Thursdays. It's better than nothing, but not as much as I'd like or Maxi needs.

Thursday I wasn't as tired as I was afraid I'd be, but I still took it easy. I ran a couple errands, then hopped on a zoom call with Sunshine for a class she's taking.

That evening for YW/YM we had a pinewood derby car work night. I brought our scroll saw that hasn't been used in 3-4 years, and it wasn't super happy about being used again. It warmed up eventually, but I probably need to oil some parts and use it more frequently.


Friday morning Max got out. Ocean left the gate open (his excuse: "I get so tired of opening and shutting it all the time" 🤦‍♀️). It took half an hour for her to come home/Jeremy to catch her. She was super stinky from rolling in something dead, but we were running late, so we put her in her crate and went to join our friends at the park, 25 minutes late. She was super happy and smiling when she came home, but wasn't nearly as happy- almost contrite- when we got home. After we ate lunch, Sunshine and I took her to the basement bathroom to wash her, and she hopped right in the tub, which never happens, since she doesn't like baths, so maybe she was tired of the stink?




It was a fun hike with a large group. We had seven families of various sizes- two kids up to seven kids. We went up the hill on the back side of the park to check out the old graves, then headed back and played in the river for awhile before it was time to head home. Some of the kiddos broke out the sidewalk chalk while we waited for some slower members of the group to catch up to us at the parking lot.

Ocean drew his favorite: the red Castle Crasher character.

Saturday morning I went on a trail run with Max before General Conference.



In between sessions I took photos for next week's course outline. When I recorded the lesson originally, I ran out of time to take photos of each step in addition to the videos, so last week and this week I had to take some process photos so I can add them to the outline. I think these are the only lessons I have to do that though.

Sunday we had more Conference. Sunshine's had a cold for the last week (she got it from Jeremy and the boys, who just had mild cases), now I'm starting to feel crummy too. yay.

~~~~~

I found some low carb, sugar free chocolate that actually tastes good. Evolved hazelnut butter cups are decent, but I don't care for the other varieties or the bars. On my last trip to Whole Foods, I bought some ChocZero white chocolate peanut butter cups and milk chocolate hazelnut bark. No weird flavors or aftertastes (erythritol ruins the taste of so many other sugar free sweets) since it's sweetened with monk fruit. I totally went to the website and bought a bunch of other items in their product lineup, since Whole Foods only carries three items.

The only problem is that they taste sweeter than the Evolved hazelnut keto cups that have been my once daily treat, and it's harder to eat just one per day. Both are monk fruit sweetened, so it must be how much is used? Neither use erythritol, which I can't stand.

If you want to give them a try, use this link to get $15 off your first purchase of $30 or more.

~~~~~

I only have a few students in my current Leatherwork 101 session (I need to do much more extensive online advertising), but I've realized that's not a bad thing. Back in May I ordered 300 more tool kits, which were supposed to arrive no later than the middle of September. That still hasn't happened- they were off loaded at the port a week or so ago, but I had to pay a lot more in tariffs than I was expecting- 25% of the value of the items- before they could be released and shipped to me. Theoretically, they're on their way here, but I haven't had any tracking updates. I'm reasonably certain my shipment got caught in the backup of cargo ships hanging outside various ports, waiting to be offloaded (there's labor shortages in the ports). Luckily, I had enough tool kits at home to cover what my students needed. So now I'll have the kits for my next class session, but it does make me think I need to place my orders even further out than I'd thought I needed. It's hard to judge how many I need, and it's not good for my cash flow when I pay for them in May or June, but can't actually do anything with them for 4 or 5 months (longer, since my next session doesn't start till January). Things to think about...

Weekly Mileage 

Monday-    1.82 miles                        .5 hours
Tuesday-     2.01 miles                       .5 hours
Thursday-                                         2.0 hours
Friday-        2.20 miles                      2.5 hours
Saturday-    1.70 miles                        .5 hours
       total- 7.73 miles                             6.0 hours

2021 totals
232.5 outside hours
220.18 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment