Monday, May 17, 2021

Weekly Mileage #216 and the Rocket Launch

putting finishing touches on rockets before launching them

Monday morning I had to get up early and finish uploading the last video for this week's lesson. It stalled out at 99% overnight and took another hour and a half to upload properly. So frustrating.

My second co-op class was a little rocky. I left some of the tools we needed at home. Oops. I worked around it, but it was not how I wanted it to go.

At Scouts the girls launched the rockets they'd built as part of their Space Exploration merit badges. Lots of fun was had by all. Jeremy and the boys came to watch and the boys had fun running around the soccer field, chasing after falling rockets.

Tuesday I went for a hike with Max, then did music lessons, speech therapy, and grocery shopping.


The gas stations are running out of gas because the pipeline was hacked over the weekend. The CRV has to go back to the garage to get the alternator or battery fixed, so we're not too worried about its 1/3 full tank. The Camry had about 2/3 tank, so again, not worried just yet. This weekend might be dicey if gas isn't delivered. Sunshine has a Scout campout an hour or so away. Panic buying is making the whole thing way worse than it needs to be. It's just like when a big storm comes in and everyone clears out the milk, bread, water, and tp. There's no reason for it, and if people bought things as normal, there wouldn't be a problem.


I set up a new shelf for my desk area in the basement. The wood shelf I built awhile ago just wasn't cutting it anymore. Now it's much easier to find stuff and there's a lot more space.

Wednesday we dropped off the CRV at the garage, then I took Max for a hike. My foot is feeling pretty good. I wrapped my foot and ankle in an elastic brace, which seems to help, though it could just finally be healing. Either way, my foot is doing a lot better.

I'm reasonably certain my older brother had an SR71 rocket like this when he did rocketry in 4H when we were kids.


After my accountability call I prepped project info and numbers for the leatherworking class I'll be teaching at YW camp this summer.

Then I worked on lesson 7 materials. It's a late start for how much work I need to get done this week and I can't go on the campout this weekend because of the amount of work I need to do.

I finally let Max sleep on my bed. She did fine in that she stayed put all night, but I kept waking up because she moved, or one time, because she was licking herself so loudly. So, as much as she wants to sleep on my bed, she doesn't get to. She's been sleeping on Jeremy's bed since, and is still doing well.

she started like this

We've been sleeping in separate beds for the last year and a half or so because the slightest movement or noise wakes me up. So Jeremy rolling over in his sleep and putting his arm around me, while sweet, wakes me up. Multiple wake-ups, problems going back to sleep, etc, added on top of everything else, was taking my daily exhaustion level from "mostly bearable if I didn't think about it too much" to "life sucks, I can't think clearly and I'm constantly cranky because I'm so stinking exhausted." Separate beds isn't optimal, but at least I'm more functional and a lot less irritable. We plan on building our next house and I've already found a couple floor plans that can easily be modified so we're sleeping near each other, but still have walls and a door between us to mitigate noise.

but the doggy donut turned into the doggy sprawl

Thursday I went for a hike with Max, then after speech therapy I did more work on my lesson materials.


I also started narrowing ideas for projects for the advanced course I'll launch in the fall. I realized it would be good to show the projects to my current students before the end of class, so I should get going on that now. I have the ideas and now need to find time to squeeze in making patterns and completing at least a few of the projects so I can show them in a video at the end of lesson 8.


Friday I did more lesson work, then got my first haircut in about a year and a half. I haven't been able to go that long between haircuts in a while, but my hair has been thinning the last year or so (stress? hormones? age? all of the above?), so I've been able to let it go longer than usual. But it's just getting too long. I don't like when the ends of my hair brush the skin of my arms below my sleeves. And I don't like catching my hair when I sit down, it's so annoying. Since my bangs have finally grown out long enough to fit in a ponytail (it only took 2 years), it was time. It ended up a bit shorter than I'd anticipated, but it'll grow. I'd also forgotten that my curls freak out when I cut my hair and now have to figure out how to handle hair that's curly in the back, only mildly wavy on one side, and a little more wavy on the other side. It's much more noticeable with short hair than it was when it was longer.

finishing off a bucket

Jeremy dropped off Sunshine at her campout while I worked, which gave me some good quiet time for focusing. 

I made some notebooks to be used as door prizes at one of the smaller homeschool conventions I'm advertising with.

Saturday we picked up the CRV. Apparently the issue all along was the battery, not the alternator. Last time we trust one of those battery tester things at the auto parts store. They claimed our battery was fine and it was our alternator that was having problems. An expensive mistake to make.

After a hike with Max, I did more lesson work while Jeremy picked up Sunshine from her campout.

Jeremy is back at work every day now. We're definitely looking forward to the day when he can quit his job and work from home.

Weekly Mileage 

Monday-                                            2.0 hours outside
Tuesday- 1.25 miles hiked                   .5 hours outside
Wednesday- 1.52 miles hiked              .5 hours outside
Thursday- 1.76 miles hiked              .5 hours outside
Saturday- 2.21 miles hiked                .5 hours outside
       total- 6.74 miles             4.0 hours

2021 totals
89.5 outside hours
157.67 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment