Monday, March 16, 2020

Weekly Mileage #155 and Hiring a New Pinterest VA


Monday I went for a trail run and hike. Thursday I did 10 miles on my bike. I upped the resistance, so it was much more challenging than the rest of my bike mileage so far this year. It felt good, though.

The vertigo hasn't come back, though I've had some moments of lightheadedness here and there. My ears have been feeling a bit off- slightly achy sometimes. Not really bad enough to actually go to the doctor though, so I'm waiting it out to see if it improves on its own. I'd rather not go on antibiotics- they always do a number on me. I do feel reasonably sure that the vertigo is related to whatever's going on in my ears.

the boys had my phone while playing on the trampoline

I dislike grocery shopping- it's time-consuming and I have to interact with people. Yes, I'm an introvert, why do you ask? 😉 Anyway, I've used Kroger grocery pickup for a year or two now and love it. Thursday I got to wandering if I could do pickup at the other two stores I usually shop at. I'd heard somewhere that Costco had a pickup service available, but after a bit more research, that seems to be in only in certain areas. Ours does delivery, but we're half a mile too far north to be eligible for that. Pesky county line. But I was very pleasantly surprised to find that Whole Foods will deliver to us. I'm guessing because they use Amazon Flex delivery instead of Instacart like Costco. And it's free because we're Prime members.

In any case, since WF will deliver, and I can pickup up at Kroger, I only have to go into Costco. Huge time saver!

Thursday evening, just as we arrived at the church for our activities, we got word that the Church had cancelled all activities for the next little while. While some of the youth were intercepted and went back home, some had already been dropped off, or their parents were there as leaders. The YW were supposed to have an unbirthday party, so there was cake and ice cream that needed to be eaten (no one wanted to take a sheet cake and four things of ice cream home). I rounded the corner of the building to where the kitchen is and caught a bunch of kids having a blast, eating cake and ice cream. Definitely a memorable send-off /start to a truly home-centered church experience.


A couple weeks ago my Pinterest VA let me know that she was closing her VA business. She has a couple other side hustles, a family, too many things to do, and too little time. I totally understand. But that means I had to find a new Pinterest VA. I started the search and have been working on narrowing down my options. I interviewed four ladies this week and made my final decision Friday morning.

I usually do the grocery shopping every other Monday morning, but with all the craziness going on I decided to move up my shopping day in hopes of still getting what we needed. I first was planning on going Saturday, then changed it to Friday.

I placed my Kroger and WF orders Thursday night, then planned on heading to Costco before picking up the Kroger order. I'm usually there around 10am, when they open, and there's very few people there. Not this time. The parking lot was super full and the line extended around the corner to the tire bays when I arrived a couple minutes after 10. I almost turned around and left, but decided I had time since my Kroger pickup wasn't until 11, even if Costco was super crowded. The line actually moved very quickly and they had an employee handing out wipes to those waiting. There wasn't a line when I left, so I think the line was just the result of people arriving before the store opened and having to wait to get in. It was crowded and there wasn't any TP, but the checkouts were actually moving pretty quickly (I've waited longer on other occasions), and I was done and on the road in half an hour.

Kroger, on the other hand, didn't do so well. They neglected to tell me they weren't ready (they had someone calling people, but I'm guessing they got pulled away to something else- it was packed there as well), so I pulled up, thinking I was good to go, only to find that was not the case. I went home and called later, just before the time they'd said to try again. They still hadn't even started pulling my order. Tried again later, they were working on it. Next time I called, they were just about done. Picked up my order almost 5 hours later than planned. All things considered though, there were only a few items that were out of stock that they weren't able to find substitutes for. We'll continue using Kroger pickup- this is the first time we've had a real problem with our pickup, and I'd say we've got extenuating circumstances right now. It wasn't their fault.

That evening I didn't even hear the Amazon delivery guy drop off our WF order. I'm definitely doing this one again! When I was placing my order I remembered that it's about this time of year that muscat grapes are in season, so I checked, and sure enough, now's the time to buy them! I can only eat a couple each day, but they are super yummy- much sweeter and less bitter than green or red grapes. But they're only available for a short window of time each spring.

We did have one hiccup with the delivery- our whole order ended up being refunded, and I couldn't figure out why. A couple items weren't in stock, so there was a message that I'd be refunded for those items. The best I can figure is that the whole order, instead of just the out-of-stock items were refunded. I tried calling and chatting with customer service, and they didn't know what was going on.

the boys keep bringing me flowers from the yard

One disadvantage of where we live (besides limited grocery delivery) is we have no options when it comes to internet- DSL over our phone lines is our only option. Well, we could go with satellite internet, but that's even worse than DSL.

Our internet has been fritzing out for awhile now, but it's been getting worse the last month and even worse this week. Back in December, we had the phone/DSL company out to look at our lines, and the in-house lines need to be replaced. They'll do it for several hundred dollars, but we opted to see if we could do it ourselves.

Jeremy got the appropriate phone line from Lowes and re-wired the phone jacks, but our internet was still having issues. So I put in a service ticket and they're sending out tech on Tuesday.



Saturday we moved a couple lawn tractor trailer loads of wood from next to the garden shed to the hill behind the RV. It's frustrating how little endurance I have these days. I only managed 4 loads I think? and then I was worn out.

Sunday we did church at home. The elders came over for dinner, and they did the obligatory asking if we knew of any service. Since we'd just been moving wood the day before, I said well, we do need a pile of wood moved. They said they'd be happy to help and would bring the other set of elders in their apartment to help as well.




I had the realization that I've got some fear of success and imposter syndrome going on. I mean, I knew I had them, most people do, but I thought they were lower than I think they actually are. My first PVA was a great intro to working with someone and increasing my site's profile. I was the first to hire her, so she didn't have a lot of experience, but she was willing to learn and I got a great rate.

I'm now at the point where I need someone more experienced and dedicated to the job, so it's actually good that she's cutting things off- I don't think I would have been able to. But with the experience I need will come a higher monthly cost. I'm actually familiar with some of the websites that my potential VAs have worked with, and they've seen good growth, which means increased income along with a higher profile.

Which are things I want and have been working towards. So why the fear of success and imposter syndrome? I'm not exactly sure.

I was already on track to start improving SEO (which will help Google send people my way) and figure out Facebook ads and be consistent with social media, so having a more targeted Pinterest strategy (which sends a lot of traffic to my site) is necessary.

I think it comes down to this: It's time to stop being comfortable, to grow, stretch, and reach for the next level. But it will be a challenge.

Weekly Mileage
Monday- 1.76 mile trail run
Monday- 2.40 mile hike
Thursday- 10.0 mile bike ride
Saturday- 1.22 miles walked outside
total- 15.38 miles

2020 totals
11 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
46.58 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
6.00 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
80.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
132.58 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment