Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Kitchen Updates

This was what our kitchen looked like when we first bought the house. White appliances, orangey oak cabinets, awkward hanging cupboards over the island.

I took down the hanging cabinets, and it opened up the kitchen so much.

I installed crown molding and primed the upper cabinets and painted the walls.

I also stained half the bases, but never got around to finishing them. It was a sad state of affairs for way too long:

I finally made progress. I finished staining the bases, painted the uppers, and installed knobs and drawer pulls. I also repainted the walls (that yellow never looked quite right) and caulked and painted the crown molding.

Where we are now:
There was a huge open space above the fridge when we bought the house. I built a cupboard up there, but it's an odd size that I can't find pre-made doors for, so the curtain does a good job of covering all the stuff we have up there.







Eventually we'll rip everything out and replace the cupboards, counters, sink, floor, and dishwasher. The other appliances have been replaced since we bought the house. Unfortunately there's no point doing the counters or sink or floor (even though they're all hideous) until we do the cupboards, which won't be cheap. But for now it looks better and one of these days we will get the kitchen looking a whole lot better.

When we replace the cupboards, we'll mostly do large drawers in the base cupboards. I think they're a better use of space and have better accessibility than cupboards that you have to crawl on the floor to get to the stuff at the back. I'm also looking forward to an actual backsplash behind the stove.

The pantry will also be updated. We plan on installing large drawers on the bottom half and shelves on the upper half.

No comments:

Post a Comment