Saturday, February 18, 2012

Kitchen Demo

We had this hanging cabinet in our kitchen that divided the kitchen from the eating area.

Mr M always had to be careful not to konk his head on it, and it made everything feel small and cramped and closed-in.

So, last weekend while Mr M was at drill I decided the cabinet had to come down. (we'd discussed it and were agreed that it would happen, just not when it would happen)

So much better. The light will probably get reinstalled since we can easily lengthen the pendants.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:
While doing the job myself wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, I do like the results :)

The four cabinets came down with a minimum of problems, except the third one, when I forgot to double-check that all the side screws were out before removing the top screws. That didn't work so well and that's when one of the glass pendant shades shattered. Other than that, though, it all went pretty smoothly.

After taking them down from the kitchen, I carried them downstairs and installed them in the laundry room for some much needed organization and storage.

Now that the cupboard is down the mismatched lights are much more obvious. I wasn't sure how to make it all look good, but after looking around a bit online, I think I found the best solution. We'll put can lights in the kitchen itself, lengthen the pendant lights, and change out the hanging light above the table. That light needs some more thought though- it's centered in the middle of the room, but since the walkway from the side door runs through the room the table is not in the center of the room. We'll probably hang a hook above the table and hang the light from that, if we keep a hanging light- haven't decided on that one yet.

There's lots more we want to do in the kitchen, but we've made a good start. I love how much more open it feels, and it's hilarious watching Mr M duck to avoid the cabinets that aren't there anymore :)

1 comment:

  1. I like the way it opens it up, but I don't think I could handle loosing the cabinet space. I never have enough.

    ReplyDelete