Monday, January 20, 2020

Weekly Mileage #147 and the Sprained Toe


Monday I went for a trail run and hike. The rest of the day was taken up with working on my laptop, taking Ocean to speech therapy, then taking Sunshine to Scouts.

It doesn't show up as well in the photo, but the green moss at the base of these four large trees was a bright contrast to the brown leaves on the ground.

Tuesday night Sunshine and I went to the second half of our SCUBA experience. We learned about the physics of SCUBA and why you have to be careful with depth and pressure. Interesting stuff. Hopefully we can get SCUBA certified in the next couple years.

Wednesday morning Ocean had a preschool makeup class, so I went for a hike and ran some errands. After lunch I spent time with my Silhouette, cutting vinyl for a project we did Thursday with the YW.  I'm glad I didn't wait till Thursday to start it, as it took longer than I'd hoped. Vinyl projects always do, since I don't do them enough and always make mistakes and have to re-do things. If I'd waited till Thursday to get started, I would have been super stressed out.

It was a misty morning, and while the sun burned the fog off, there was still droplets on the trees, if you look closely.

Getting the vinyl done on Wednesday meant on Thursday I only had to print a few papers, then I was ready to go.  That left me time to work on my never-ending work project.

That night, we started our YW activity by handing out Personal Progress awards to those who finished them by the end of the year (including me!) and Faith in God awards to our girls who just moved up from Primary but finished it before the end of the year.


Then we talked about setting achievable goals and the girls worked on setting some goals and writing letters to themselves about those goals. Then we had them put the vinyl on their whiteboards so they can write down their goals and keep them where they can see them and remember to work on them.

I'd seen something similar online and realized it would be fairly easy to do for our YW. I got these whiteboards, which come in a 30 pack with markers and erasers (just the right number for our ward), and I bought this tape for the dividing lines. I used vinyl I've had sitting around for years for the words, and I used the Silhouette design software to do a couple fonts for the girls to choose from. All in all, each whiteboard cost less than a dollar fifty to put together. Not bad. If you had to buy vinyl, that would increase the cost a bit.

Friday wasn't a super productive day, but I was able to get the vinyl on the whiteboards for the girls who weren't able to come on Thursday night. They don't take a long time, but I did do some squinting while peeling the backing off the words and I ended up with a borderline migraine. Those always interfere with my ability to function as well as I'd like.

Saturday morning we had our ward youth planning session where we planned out the combined YM/YW activities for the coming year. It's always interesting to see what activities the kids want to do.

At one point the forecast had called for snow, but we only ended up with an icy drizzle. I'd planned on doing a bit of running on the treadmill after the planning session, but time got away from me. Before I knew it, it was time to go to the swimming pool. Sunshine needed to pass off the aquatics requirements for her first class rank and we both needed to do our annual swim checks (necessary to participate in any water-based activities).

We both passed our swim checks, but I banged up my big toe when I jumped into the pool. We have to jump in feet first, and I thought the water was deeper than it was, so I jumped with pointed feet instead of flat feet. My big toe made contact with the bottom of the pool first, and it didn't feel good.

Sunday morning I thought maybe I'd broken my toe. It was swollen and turning purple, still sore, and it hurt to walk. I was prepared to go to an urgent care center after church, but sometime during Sunday School it stopped hurting so much. It's still swollen and purple, but it's easier to walk. So I'm back to thinking I just sprained it. Hopefully it heals quickly, as I need to start increasing my running mileage so I can get ready for my next half marathon. Luckily I've got enough time before I need to start my training cycle, so I should still have time to let my foot heal before I really need to work on increasing my mileage.

*** I'm all caught up on some posts that were scheduled for December and January, so be sure to scroll back to see if you missed any earlier posts ***

Weekly Mileage
Monday- 1.40 mile trail run
Monday- 2.35 mile hike
Wednesday- 2.13 mile hike
total- 5.88 miles

2020 totals
3 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
15.50 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
0.0 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
0.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
15.50 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment