Monday, September 23, 2019

Weekly Mileage #130 and the Trip to Great Wolf Lodge

beautiful morning for a trail run

Monday after I dropped off Ocean at preschool, I ran a couple errands at the stores that were open before 10 (fewer than I'd hoped). Then I went to the trails park and ran a mile, then hiked two more. After that, I ran a few more errands (all the stores were now open) and finished just in time to pick up Ocean. It was a tight squeeze, but I won't need to run so many errands every week, so hopefully I can continue with the running and hiking while Ocean's at preschool. After putting away the groceries and taking a quick shower, Ocean and I went to speech therapy. I had a couple hours free, then I took Sunshine to Scouts. Definitely a busy day, but it was a very productive start to the week.

the boys at the bottom of the lower slides

We found a good Groupon deal not too long ago, so Wednesday we went to Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg. It's a hotel with an indoor water park and the last time we stayed there was five years ago, before Ocean was born. Our stay was based solely on what would fit in our schedule, but it also ended up being at the same time as a family in our ward and a number of our homeschool friends since it was also Williamsburg's homeschool days. We didn't bother visiting Williamsburg this year- the boys aren't quite old enough to fully appreciate it and we didn't have time for a longer stay.

Ocean laying on Daddy's back on the lazy river

You can stay at the water park after you check out, so we spent most of Thursday at the water park again and got home in time for a late bedtime for the boys.

Sunshine spent most of her time on the slides, so I didn't get any good pictures of her
the wave pool and wave rider thing were behind me when I took this picture

We had fun, though I think everyone else had more fun than me. The disadvantage of an indoor water park is that all the chlorine fumes are trapped inside. I had a headache as soon as we stepped inside. The rides were still fun, but the headache sure was distracting.

River on the wave rider

Climbing the stairs to the top of the slides was definitely a workout, especially when done while breathing chlorine fumes. River went on a couple of the slides, but they weren't his favorite and he didn't ask to go on any of the high ones more than once. The lower ones were ok. Ocean loved the high slides, of course. We figured this would happen, knowing their personalities, so Mr M took Sunshine and Ocean on the high slides while I hung out with River down below. River did like the wave rider thing, though.

while River didn't like the speed of the tall slides, he did like this floating lily pad thing, and climbed across several times

Friday night was our first YW campout. I say first, because the girls had fun and were enthusiastic about doing another one. Not sure when it will happen, since we've got a full schedule of activities already, but it will. Mr M came along as a priesthood holder, so the boys came along as well. They got quite gloriously dirty and had a fine time.

River "helped" get the fire started Saturday morning

This was the same campground we've taken the Cub Scouts to in the past. It's not too far, it's inexpensive, and there's some trails in the woods behind the campground, so it's a great location for getting a feel for how things will go. Aside from girls camp, which in our stake is not real camping, the YW in our ward haven't gone on a campout in.... I'm really not sure how long. Pretty sure it's been a number of years, though.

the park stores some obstacle course obstacles in the campground, which everyone had fun climbing on

Saturday morning we took a short hike with the YW before everyone headed home. After everyone was picked up, we headed home, where I found my car keys rolled up in the tent. I knew I hadn't left them at the campground, but I thought I'd put them in the car somewhere. nope. Too much sugar and carbs this week has not been good for my brain cells. We mostly spent the rest of the day recovering from the last three days. We had fun, but long days and late nights aren't good for any of us.

Sunday morning as we left for church I looked over and saw that a bag of trash had been carefully dragged into the woods before being thoroughly inspected for edibles. Thank you (friendly?) neighborhood bear!

Weekly Mileage
Monday- 1.12 miles run
Monday- 2.35 miles hiked
Saturday- 1.00 miles hiked
total- 4.47 miles

19 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
2.56 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
86.75 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
41.16 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
80.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
210.47 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment