Thursday, August 30, 2018

Buffet Re-do


I mentioned on Monday that I was waxing a piece of furniture in order to sell it.

I bought this buffet a few years ago, intending to use it our master bath, but it's been sitting in our living room for the last 3 or 4 years now and it'll be a bit still before we get around to doing the bathroom. In the meantime, I've realized it's too tall to use as a vanity and there's no way to cut down the legs to make it shorter.


So I decided to paint it, then sell it, and figure out something else for the bathroom vanity. I forgot to take a picture before I'd started scuffing up the finish to accept the paint, so the one above is as good as it gets. The center door came off months ago (with help from the boys), so fixing it was on the list as well, after everything was painted.


I painted it with gray chalk paint leftover from this project, then used some glaze to make all the great details really pop. After that, I waxed it using leftover wax.

left: no glaze; right: glaze

I listed in on a local Facebook group and Craigslist, and it sold the very next day, for twice what I originally paid for it. Since I used leftover paint and wax and only bought the glaze, my expenses were pretty minimal. The screws to fix that middle door came out of our stash in the shed.



This isn't the first buffet I've refinished, though it was certainly easier than the last one. You can read about that old buffet I here. That buffet I kept though, and is still in our bedroom, where Mr M and I use it as a dresser.

one of the drawers has this great little tray in it

I also sold the school cupboard after listing it on a Facebook group and Craigslist. We're slowly consolidating, reorganizing, and getting rid of stuff, which means we don't need this cupboard any more. It's not one I want to store when we move, and I want the wall space for a desk that's been living in the library, so it was time to sell it. And let's be realistic, it really ended up attracting piles of Sunshine's school papers that she shoved in any which way. We moved all the school stuff to the bottom of the basement stairs and there's not room for her to be haphazardly piling things up. Sounds like a win to me :)



I removed the fold-out table awhile ago, so it's just the cupboard, but the adjustable shelves will give the new owners tons of flexibility with how they use it. You can read about how I built the cupboard here, and how I finished it here.


This also sold right away, though it's still waiting to be picked up since the buyers had to find a truck to bring it home since it's so large. They left a nice deposit, otherwise I wouldn't have held it for them :) people who buy stuff on Craigslist can be too flaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment