Monday, November 27, 2017

Turkey Trot

start of race selfie with my sister

Thanksgiving morning we participated in our local Turkey Trot 5k. This was the 8th year in a row that Sunshine and I have done this race, which is the longest race streak I've ever maintained. Thursday was also the coldest day we've had so far this season, which meant we were all bundled up. It was mid-20's when we started, and while I warmed up and took off my neck gaiter and ear warmer before the half way point, it was only about 30 or so when we finished. And now we're back into the 50's and 60's...

love this view as we head down the first big hill after we turn into the neighborhood

I ran 3.17 miles in 36:42. It's one of my slower times running this race, which isn't surprising given my current level of fitness, but it's still a bit disappointing. I wasn't running fast, but I only walked a total of .55 miles, divided between four different hills. I feel like I was able to run more of the hills than I have in the past, and the hills are always my weakness in this race so I'm happy with that.

1st mile: 10:52
2nd mile: 11:38
3rd mile: 12:38

After I finished, I walked back to where Mr M, the kids, and my brother were walking (my sister ran the race and finished a few minutes after me) and walked back to the finish with them. This gave me a one mile cool down.

2017: 36:42
2016: 41:59 (pushing both boys in the jogger)
2015: 33:30
2014: 34:22
2013: 35:35
2012: 37:58 (pushing Sunshine in the jogger)
2011: 32:44
2010: 35:05 (pushing Sunshine in the jogger)

Doesn't River look so bored? He was not happy about sitting in the stroller, but he also didn't want to walk. Ocean refused to wear mittens (he yanked them off almost as soon as I put them on), so his poor little hands got pretty cold.

The rest of the week was a wash when it came to exercising, which is not a good thing when you're eating a bit more than you usually do/should.

I had planned on biking Monday, but we were busy all day cleaning, running errands, and working on business tasks. No mileage recorded, but there was lots of movement.

Wednesday I'd hoped to squeeze in some treadmill time, but I ran out of time as we finished cleaning and started prepping food for Thursday.

Friday we'd planned on hiking part of the Appalachian Trail like we did last year, but the timing of siblings leaving and arriving was such that it ended up not happening.

We thought about doing our hike Saturday, but we ended up sleeping in and having a much-needed more relaxed day. We ran some errands and did some work around the house, but it was much more low key than the last week or so has been. The cold snap on Thanksgiving caught us a smidge unprepared. We put last year's snow bib's on River, but they were high water on him, so it was time to pass them on to Ocean and get him some new ones. Sunshine also needed new snow pants, and all three kiddos needed new coats. Thank goodness for sales!

Weekly Mileage:
Thurs- 4.17 miles
     total miles- 4.17 miles

still at 46 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
499.85 miles towards #365milechallenge (17.87 of those miles on the bike)

No comments:

Post a Comment