Monday, August 28, 2017

August 4 Mile Race



Saturday morning I ran a 4 mile race with my friend C. I ran this race last year and the year before, and I really like the course. It's so scenic and it's got a small field of runners, so it's not crazy crowded (like the 4 mile race that's held the following weekend).


It was a really good thing that C was meeting me at our house, because I didn't wake up until she texted me to say she was here. I'd completely slept through the two alarms I'd set! Because I'd laid everything out the night before I was able to very quickly get dressed and grab my stuff, and we were out the door only ten minutes later than planned. I hadn't slept very well the night before, but that doesn't usually keep me from hearing my alarms.

the cows weren't very interested in the race

I've only run four times since the Glacier half marathon, but I felt pretty good. Not in shape, or anything, but not like a complete couch potato, either. Between traveling, being super busy, and trying to let my feet heal, I've let my exercise time get pushed to the back burner lately. I want to change that, but am still trying to figure out how to fit everything in.


In any case, we walked and ran the race and had a good time, and then proceeded to walk more than a mile and a half more afterwards as we retraced our steps to take some pictures of the scenery. It was a good cool down that should save our bodies from being too sore (C hasn't done much running lately, either).


This year I completed the race in 47:17. In 2016 I ran it in 45:20, and in 2015 I ran it in 1hour and 18 seconds and just under 6 weeks after giving birth to Ocean. So not my best time, but not my worst, either, so I'm ok with it. And it has motivated me to be more diligent about finding time to exercise.


4.03 miles in 47:17
1st mile: 10:30   - we went out a little fast
2nd mile: 12:27
3rd mile: 12:24
4th mile: 11:37


My mileage dipped again this week, but I wasn't completely sedentary. As I mentioned, time is a huge factor in my ability to get anything done, and unfortunately running is still the easiest to move to the bottom of my to-do list. Lack of sleep (which also gets pushed to the bottom of the list) makes exercise so much less appealing.

Monday Sunshine and I watched the eclipse while the boys napped (a nice coincidence of timing that meant I didn't have to worry about them trying to look up at the sun and getting blinded). We thought it was cool, but weren't able to get any good pictures. We weren't in the path of totality, but we had a higher percentage than I was expecting.


Thursday we went on a hike at the park we went to with the Cub Scouts the previous Friday so we could retrace our steps and see how far we'd gone. There's more trails at this park, so we'll have to come back and do some longer hikes. We also found some old metal that seems to indicate dumping occurred here at some point in time. After our hike we played at the playground for a few minutes.



Weekly Mileage
Thursday: hiked 1.43 miles
Saturday: ran and walked 4.03 miles and walked 1.58 miles
     total miles: 7.04 miles

hike #33 towards #52hikechallenge
397.43ish miles towards #365milechallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment