Friday, March 10, 2017

Avoiding Burnout When Working From Home

Ocean thinks he's so big, trying out River's bed. He won't be sleeping in a "big boy bed" for awhile yet- I'm not ready for two boys to be roaming the house during nap time and bed time :)

A couple weeks ago I lost all desire to work on my online businesses. I was just burned out after several months of work work work work. So instead of working, I took a break and read books all week.

And I decided to be a bit more balanced with my approach to work.

I've known for some time that I'm not good at being balanced- I like to jump into a project, work hard, and get it done. The process of setting up new businesses has not been conducive to working straight through- there's been too much stop-and-go while I wait for accounts to clear and responses from other companies. Because the set-up process has taken longer and been more involved than I anticipated, it has taken longer to move from the set-up stage to the maintenance stage. Instead of being able to get things done, they're dragging on and on, which has been draining.

However, I am almost done with the set-up stages and now it's time to figure out the maintenance stages. What needs to be done every week for each business? How will I get those things done without it taking over the other aspects of my life? The key is to keep it balanced, but it's a work in progress.

In the time since my burnout I've made up a couple schedules to help me make sure I'm getting everything done. There's blog posts and instagram posts that need to be done every week, scout stuff to do, email marketing stuff to do, sourcing for Amazon, house projects, and that's not counting anything to do with the kiddos. My schedules have evolved each week as I figure what needs to be done and what needs to be changed.

I haven't worked on any projects around the house since I started my businesses, but as my work schedule eases a bit and warmer weather comes it's time to start thinking about projects again. Decluttering, finishing the outdoor chicken run, and other projects are lining up to be added to my to-do list.

It makes me busier, but it also helps me stay more balanced so I'm not spending all my time on one project.

No comments:

Post a Comment