Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mr. Mellow is on his way

Mr. M left for Virginia this morning. I'm sooo tempted to start packing now, even though LMS and I aren’t leaving for another month and a half. I'm going to have to keep working on being patient.

We spent most of the week getting ready for Mr. M to leave- shopping for clothes for work (he didn’t have many appropriate for a business setting- the advantage of being active duty military is a uniform, the disadvantage is a lack of civilian clothes), oil change for the car, packing clothes and military gear, and loading the car and trailer.

We thought about flying, but it cost about the same amount to take Amtrak, but with both hewould be limited to 2 bags. He ended up taking all his military stuff with him, just in case he needs it at his next drill (which will be before we get there). In the end, we decided he would drive our car and pull our little trailer with all his military stuff (he’s got a lot of it). This does leave LMS and I without a car, but since we’re working on not spending money, I’m not making too many trips into town anyway. On the occasions that I do need to go to town, I just need to talk to my FIL the day before and he’ll work from home so I can use his car. So nice of him.

When it’s time for LMS and I to leave, we’ll take the train. I’ve always wanted to travel by train, but there’s always the problem of a vehicle to use at the other end. Since Mr. M will be out there with our car already, that’s not an issue. We’ll get a roomette on both legs of the trip, which will end up being more expensive than plane tickets, but will give us more freedom I think. Especially with the tightened security since Christmas. A long flight with a 3 year old, and I can’t have anything on my lap the last hour before landing, when she’s sure to be the fussiest? Yeah, I don’t think that’s going to be a good idea. On the train we’ll be able to move around, and the roomettes will give us some privacy at night, hopefully making it easier for her to get some sleep. I’m looking forward to it, and so is LMS- she likes looking at trains, so the thought of riding on one is just the coolest thing.

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to travel by train, too! I'm a little jealous--please document your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the train from Provo to Denver once, mainly for the experience, and I did find that the train had more to offer by way of comfort and freedom, even without a roommette. You're sure to get bored on such a long trip, though, (I got bored on a much shorter trip) so make sure you have lots of plans for how to occupy yourself and LMS...

    ReplyDelete