Friday, January 15, 2010

Leap Frog Letter Factory


This summer my SIL recommended this video (thanks V!) as a good way to introduce letters and their sounds. I totally agree. LMS enjoys it, but we don't watch it religiously. Some weeks we'll watch it 2 or 3 times, and then we'll go 2 or 3 weeks before watching it again. I bought it in September I think, and LMS has probably watched it 15 -20 times since then.

The other day, we were driving past the high school, which has a water tower with the school's initials on it. As we drove past, LMS said "ha, ha, ha, and ssss, sssss, mommy!" Naturally, I was confused, until I realized she had seen the letters and was saying the sounds they make (H's make a panting 'ha' sound, and S's make a 'ssss' sound).

Since then, she's gotten quite good at recognizing letters on signs, stores, and in books. It's quite exciting to watch her realize she knows these things. She's not reading or anything, but she's making the first steps in that direction. How cool is that?

1 comment:

  1. Glad it worked! Once she gets a good feel for a computer mouse there is a website called starfall.com (I think that's it). They have some great letter/sound recognition. Gabby's been playing on it for a few months and it's also helping her learn things quickly.

    ReplyDelete