Thursday, January 14, 2010

Kilmeny of the Orchard (L.M. Montgomery Reading Challenge)

L. M. Montgomery Reading Challenge

As I was requesting books by L.M. Montgomery from our library, I realized just how many of her books I haven't read. I've read all the 'Anne' books, Blue Castle, one of the 'Emily' books (a really long time ago), and I think that's it. I'm not sure why- she wrote quite a few other books, but I never read them. I noticed that our library does not have them all, so I think some of them are out of print now, which is unfortunate.

The first book I read for this challenge is Kilmeny of the Orchard. It was a quick read, only taking a couple hours to finish. As I read it was hard to miss the difference in writing style from most authors today. This isn't bad, just different. L.M. Montgomery is very descriptive, and uses a lot of phrases and language that I'm sure was current at the time she wrote, but is woefully outdated now. Kilmeny was an enjoyable book to read, and I recommend it to anyone who can find it.

1 comment:

  1. You are correct in assuming that many of her works are now out-of-print. It's very hard to come by them - even in used paperback form! I'm glad you found this one though. I think for getting a feel for Montgomery and her writing style, this is the best and quickest example. Not deep. But it gives you a good taste.

    ReplyDelete