Monday, December 13, 2021

Weekly Mileage #246 and Our First Karate Tournament

the old strap positioning

Monday my foot was still sore, but it is improving. It's still swollen and sore, but my weight bearing ability is better.

The boys and I practiced our universals for the tournament this weekend. I have to be careful with my movements, but I'm managing.

Awhile ago I'd given River a wallet that I made to try out a die I got. Ocean decided he wanted a wallet too, but he wanted a red wallet (naturally, since it's his favorite color). 

I didn't have enough of the red leather he wanted, so I made it out of red waxed canvas and sewed on a patch of the red leather with the logo (which he also wanted, but can't be done on waxed canvas).



He's super happy with it and what makes it even better is that the outer pocket is just the right size for the LEGO that is his cell phone. 

I checked my email and all those missing emails from Sunday night are available again, so Yahoo must have been glitchy. At least they're back, since I needed them.

Tuesday the boys shared the full hour of music lessons since Sunshine was out of town. They're making good progress. On the way home, we ran a couple errands, then I rested for awhile when we got home. I am just not getting enough sleep.

Afterwards I practiced karate with the boys quick, then we went to karate. I have an elastic brace I use off and on when my foot is bothering me (the big toe joint/ball of foot area that I still need to get looked at), and it got me through class, though walking around and getting the boys to bed hurt. My foot did not appreciate the workout.

The dogs definitely haven't been getting enough exercise, and while I hoped to take them on a hike Wednesday morning, it didn't happen. My foot was not happy.

There's nothing like waking up in the middle of the night to the sound of a dog puking because he insists on eating dust bunnies (caused by all his hair) off the floor. Gross.

I practiced karate with the boys. We are not ready for the tournament on Saturday.


I finally got up the nerve to drill a hole in Ocean's guitar so I could add a strap button. I had tied the top end of the strap to the top of the neck, but it wasn't a good placement for him- it kept pushing it to the side (see the pic at the top of this post). I was nervous about drilling a hole in the neck, but it actually went really smoothly and there were no problems. Afterwards I adjusted the strap a bit to work with the new button. It should be a much better fit for him now. Before, he was stopping every few notes to adjust the position of the guitar on his lap.

I realized that Jeremy, his brother, and Sunshine would be back Thursday evening and I never made the dog treat pouch for Jeremy's brother that he'd requested, so I worked on that. I didn't quite get it done before bed, but I was close. I made it up as I went, trying to make it more sturdy and longer lasting than the treat bag he'd been using (and that was falling apart).

he was using a treat bag like this (we bought this one when we first got Max, but rarely use it)

he uses his all the time and that clip in the back had pulled out of the fabric

I did re-use the clip, but I riveted it to a double layer of leather, in the hopes that it will last longer than the original. I also made it larger than the original bag.


While the back is of leather, the front pockets are all waxed canvas.

the bottom is gusseted to allow more stuff inside (a complaint he had about the original bag)

the front pocket closes with a zipper

the middle pocket was open, though when he tried it out, he requested I put some snaps in to close it- there's two snaps now, though I didn't take a picture of the change

the top pocket closes with velcro. the loop at the top helps pull the edges apart.

I added a loop for a carabiner or clip and a leather tie to the zipper to make it easier to pull

If I were to do another one (unlikely, since I don't plan on adding this to my shop), I would change up some of the design elements and the order of some of the tasks (which would have made it easier to make). Overall though, I'm pretty happy with it.

Thursday I wanted to go for a hike with the dogs and boys, but my foot just wasn't feeling great. There's some bruising visible now, but it's not dark or extensive. I'm pretty sure karate practice isn't helping my foot, but with the tournament in just a couple days, it's necessary.

Instead I finished off the dog treat pouch for Jeremy's brother and then wound 13 bobbins since I had completely run out of filled bobbins. It's time consuming to do a bunch at one time, but it's much less time consuming and inconvenient than stopping in the middle of a project to wind a bobbin every time I run out.

I worked on some smaller leather notebook covers recently, so it was time to try some larger book covers. They're still a work in progress, but I'm getting closer to what I want.

In the evening we picked up Jeremy, his brother, and Sunshine from the airport and they dropped me off at the church for YW before heading home. Not ideal, but it's not a long trip between the two, so it was easy for Jeremy to pick me up afterwards.

After YW I finally got the kids' advent bags filled (more than a week late), then I got a hair up my nose and cleared out a trash bag worth of junk from under the bathroom vanity before bed. I've wanted to do it for awhile now, and apparently Thursday night was the time.

Friday I ran some errands (by myself!). One of which was to buy wood to make the frames for two canvases that I need to stretch. I bought them two years ago, never took them in to get stretched professionally, and never did it myself, either. I want to rearrange all the art on the walls, so they need to be stretched so they can be included.

My foot was still hurting- blech.

I'm so tired. A week and a half of poor sleep hasn't done me any favors and constant pain from my foot adds to the level of tired. I'm not sure about my supplements. I added an amino acid two weeks ago, and while it seems to have made a difference in the afternoons, the mornings have been such a drag- literally. I added another amino acid today, we'll see what happens from here. These are supposed to help with concentration, focus, energy, so I'm hoping they are effective.

Saturday my foot was still sore, but not as bad as at first, so at least it's on the mend.

Our karate tournament started at noon. We left at 3pm and they still had individual sparring (the 4th of 4 events) to go. Our events (forms/universals) were first on the docket, so we got them done quickly. Afterwards we watched the grabs and most of the weapons, but it was getting long and we were all getting restive. 

We could have competed in the grabs, but we would have had to practice and coordinate ahead of time and we weren't that on top of things, especially since Jeremy and Sunshine only got home a day before the tournament. Realistically, only the kids could have competed, since you have to bring a partner to do the grabs, and the different age divisions were going at the same time. The boys were across the gym doing their universals at the same time Jeremy, Sunshine, and I were doing ours. The overlap would make it difficult for all of us to compete in grabs at the same time.

We couldn't compete in the other two events, sparring and weapons, because we haven't started learning them yet, though we will start in January.

It was a small tournament, which was good. So much less stressful than it could have been. There were six people in our division (intermediate, age 13+), and while Jeremy and Sunshine didn't place, I tied for third place and the tie breaker put me in 4th, so I got a medal rather than a trophy. I totally froze up partway through Universal 3. I completely blanked on what the next move was. I just stood there, trying to remember until one of the other participants finally whispered what it was and I was able to continue. At least I didn't completely lose it, which was a favorable comment on my scorecard. 

I missed Ocean doing his Universals because he went during our awards. I was able to watch River, since he went before our awards. Jeremy was able to see Ocean, at least. In their division (intermediate, under 10 or 11, I think) River placed third and Ocean got 4th or 5th. I'm not sure on the exact placing- I couldn't hear everything during their awards. He got a medal, but they gave out another medal as well (one to a virtual participant), and I think his was mentioned first (they started at lower placings and worked up). So maybe they gave out additional places because of their age? 

Overall, the tournament was a good experience. Freezing up in the middle was actually good as well. Most of us have fears of forgetting something in the middle of a performance or speech or some other thing in front of people. I blanked, I survived. And next time I'll make sure I practice even more.

Sunday I was in meetings or church from 10:15 to 2:30. Yay.

Weekly Mileage 

       total- 0 miles                             0 hours

2021 totals
278.5 outside hours
247.43 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment