Monday, December 20, 2021

Weekly Mileage #247 and the Booster Shot

bed hog

On Monday my foot was definitely feeling better, but I'm forcing myself to take it easy and not go for a run just yet. I don't want to slow down the healing process more than I already have with continuing to do karate.

Scouts that night was a Court of Honor. Sunshine received a couple merit badges, but she still needs to finish some Eagle required ones before she can advance a rank. When we got home I worked on a list of merit badge requirements for Sunshine to work on. She's struggling to get any of them done (she's not as motivated as she could be), so I'm going to start assigning a couple requirements each day so she can start making some progress.

Tuesday morning I got my military ID replaced, finally. There was only one appointment available, so Sunshine will have to wait on hers. It almost didn't happen though. Jeremy didn't think he needed to come with me or fill out any paperwork, but surprise! he did. So I called him and he made it 5 minutes before my allotted time slot was up and signed the paper I needed. So silly.

On the way home from music lessons we got my covid booster shot. By the time karate came around I was already starting to feel crummy (I'd hoped it wouldn't hit till Wednesday morning). I took some advil and powered through class, though it was a bit rough. Part of our warmup was a brutal stretching exercise while in the split position. I can tell I'm more flexible- I can get further into the splits than I used to, but it's still uncomfortable.

We started sparring, but our gear hadn't come in yet, so we had to do the moves without making contact.

Wednesday I stayed in bed all day. I was achy all over plus had the cold sweats, a sore arm and swollen lymph node.

Thursday I didn't feel great, but I went to the chiropractor (I'd already pushed the appointment back once while Jeremy and Sunshine were gone) and ran a couple errands anyway. Of course, I laid down as soon as I got back. I thought I was feeling better that evening and went to YW, but I spent the activity laying on the stage, having cold sweats after setting up tables took all my energy.

Friday I'd hoped I'd feel well enough to be up and about, but that wasn't the case, probably because I over-did it on Thursday. I spent the day in bed again with cold sweats. Max joined me and layed on my legs. Nothing like a personal heater attached to you when you're already having cold sweats.


Karate was cancelled from Thursday on. Saturday was supposed to be the last day before two weeks off for the holidays, so this closed things down just a bit early. Someone in one of the Tuesday classes tested positive for covid and they were in close contact with some of the instructors. Hopefully that person was not in our class. We didn't receive a notification that anyone in our class tested positive, so hopefully they were in one of the other classes. We were supposed to pick up our sparring gear and weapons at class on Friday, but i guess we'll be doing that after the break instead.

Saturday I was feeling better, but still not great, so I spent the day resting again. I spent a lot of time in bed watching movies this week. Not how I'd planned to spend my week, but it was kind of nice to catch up on all the movies I've been meaning to watch, but that need more attention than I can give them while sewing or doing leatherwork. I frequently have something on in the background when I'm working, but it has to be something I've seen before or I'll be too distracted by it.

Because I had the time to think about such things, here's some thoughts on some of the movies I watched and their respective books, namely the Hunger Games series and the Divergent series.

Hunger Games books: I re-read the books in the last year or so, leading up to when the prequel was released. I've read the series a couple of times over the years, so the details are fairly familiar.

Divergent books: I read the series once, but it's been a number of years, so I don't remember a lot of the details.

Hunger Games movies: no real arguments. While there are differences between the books and the movies, I don't think there's anything too egregious. (unlike the Eragon movie, which is a total travesty of the book) I think this was the first time I actually watched the last movie; I'd seen the others before.

Divergent movies: I think I'd only watched the first movie before this. Apparently a lot of people didn’t like the third because it strayed too far from the book. If I recall correctly, I didn’t like the last book- I thought the ending was terrible. I need to review the last bit of it to see if what I think I remember is accurate. If so, then yeah, I didn't like the last book. I thought the movie ending was fine. It ended on a hopeful note, rather than the depressing note I remember the book being. Occasionally (ok, rarely), a movie can be better than a book. PS, I Love You is another example of this. The book was terrible; I like the movie.

Weekly Mileage 

Monday-                                         1.5 hours
Tuesday-                                           .5 hours
       total- 0 miles                                 2.0 hours

2021 totals
280.5 outside hours
247.43 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment