Monday, April 26, 2021

Weekly Mileage #213 and 2nd Hour Church

she firmly believes the front passenger seat is her rightful domain, and she will fight Sunshine for it

Monday I worked on the videos and photos for next week's lesson, then went to Scouts with Sunshine.

Tuesday I went on a walk with Max, then did music lessons and speech therapy with the kiddos. After that I did some photo editing and recorded more videos and photos.

Wednesday I went for a trail run/hike with Max. After my accountability call I made a bucket for an order and took it to the post office. After that I did some more photo editing.

I also paid for my booth at a homeschool conference in Cincinnati in August. While I'm signed up for two branches of a small homeschool conference as a non-attending vendor (and working on signing up as a virtual vendor for the online version of that conference), this will be my first in-person event, and it should be a good size.

My friend C and her daughter are going to come with Sunshine and I. She's finishing her first year of homeschooling and has had a lot of concerns about it (she wants to do it, but isn't sure she can be successful). They'll attend some of the talks while Sunshine and I stay in the vendor hall, and my friend will help out in between the talks she attends. I'd thought about just Sunshine and I doing it, but realistically, having another adult along will make things a lot easier in several respects. An extra driver, an extra adult for the booth (I'm not sure I want to leave shy Sunshine manning the booth by herself while I eat lunch or run to the bathroom).

The primary purpose of attending the conference is to build my email list, get the word out about my course, and sign up people for the fall session. But I also want to build up my shop, so I'm going to bring buckets and pockets to sell as well. Which means that in between all the other stuff I have going on, I need to drastically step up production of both. Which means it's time to hire somebody to cut all my waxed canvas pieces and leather pieces. (I don't mind doing the sewing, and most people don't have an industrial machine to do the sewing at their house, but cutting waxed canvas and leather is a bit fiddly and time consuming. My time is better used elsewhere) I need to figure out how much I can afford to pay before I start putting the word out, though. It needs to be enough to be worth their while, while not breaking my bank account.

It will be a lot of work, but the timing is really good. This particular conference session (it's part of a group of conferences held around the country) was originally supposed to be held in March, but was moved to August because of meeting restrictions. The August dates put it right before I open enrollment for the fall session of my course. And since it's not till August, I have time to prepare (products to sell, freebies to hand out, signage, etc). Homeschool conferences are usually held in the spring, so catching this one in August puts me in a good position for hopefully maxing out my registration for my fall session.


Thursday I went for a hike with Max, but it was rough. I hate being period tired. It's such a drag. After that I ran some errands and went to the chiropractor, getting home just in time for speech therapy. Then I edited photos and videos and worked on lesson slides.

Thursday evening we had YW in person. Sunshine had a brownie bakeoff (they brought brownies they'd made and taste tested them all) with her class while mine did an embroidery thing where we worked on kits (that we took to the various houses over the weekend) in person and via zoom. It worked out pretty well. I think I've finally found my mindless activity to keep me awake during times when I have to sit still and it's not socially acceptable to be playing solitaire on my phone (which I totally do during zoom meetings, but can't do during church). There's no counting, like crochet or cross stitch, which makes it so much easier to listen to what's being said while keeping my hands busy.

3 sizes of pockets: S, M, and L

Friday was a blech day. Late night + period + narcolepsy = super tired, crampy, dragging me. 

I didn't think to drink an energy drink till after 4, but I couldn't at that point because it would keep me up at night. At dinner I remembered that I'd gotten some Bubly Bounce, which is flavored seltzer water with a bit of caffeine- 35 mg. My usual sugar free energy drink has 80mg. I drank some of it, then passed the rest on to Jeremy. It was enough to perk me up a bit, but not enough to keep me up at night. An added bonus- no sugar. I did finally get some more editing done and the last of the videos I needed for next week's lesson.


Saturday I went on a trail run with Max, then waited in line for more than an hour to get my first covid vax. All told, was in there for an hour and a half, between waiting beforehand and waiting afterwards to make sure I didn't have any adverse reactions (nope) just a slightly sore arm by bedtime. The shot itself took all of 5 minutes, including double checking identify and stuff.

I had made arrangements to hand off some paperwork for the homeschool co-op because I'm teaching a leatherworking class for the co-op in May, but I ended up having to have her meet me as I waited in line since it took so long.

Then I went home and alternated between working on my lesson for YW on Sunday and voice overs for my videos and final edits. This week's videos were shorter than last week's, but they still take a lot of time to move around on my computer and to upload.

I caught River looking a little emo while practicing his banjo (and holding it incorrectly 🙄)
a minute later he'd pulled the hood off and was looking entirely too grownup. why does he look so much older here?

Sunday was our first Sunday with 2nd hour in person in more than a year. The ward council had planned on Primary in the chapel with a parent, then individual YM and YW classes strategically placed in the larger rooms while RS met in half the gym and EQ met in the other half. But the stake wanted us to hold off on that much movement, so Primary will still be in the chapel with a parent, but all YM and YW will be in one half of the gym and the rest of the adults will be in the other half. 

I'd already planned on teaching my class (it was my turn) and the bishopric assigned the YW to teach this Sunday (they'll take the next YM/YW Sunday), so I'm teaching all the youth. Yay. With a zoom link. I'd planned on doing a powerpoint presentation and showing a video or two, but that won't work in a large room with a zoom link and questionable AV equipment availability. I don't know that I'll have time to set anything up, and we only have 25 minutes for class anyway since we have to exit the building before the next ward starts arriving. So I had to totally change up my lesson plan.

Jeremy threw out his back Saturday afternoon, putting the floor mats back in the car after cleaning them. It's always a stupid thing- bending over to do something lightweight or bending over to pick something up, but not actually picking it up yet. So weird. So it was just me and kids and no one to sit with the boys second hour. We knew this would be an issue- I brought it up in ward council, but there's a few kids that this could happen to because of their parents' callings, so the Primary presidency said they'd keep an eye on those kids. In the end, one of my counselors, who also needed to be in Primary with her littles while her husband was in EQ, sat near our boys and kept an eye on them. 

We had to go early to make sure everyone was on board with the gluten free crackers. Last time we went in person at the end of December the elders were blessing the sacrament and had no idea what they were doing. We were just moving to meeting in a larger group at that point, I think, but it stressed me out really badly. I just can't afford to get sick from taking the sacrament. I don't have to worry about that at home, so we just stayed home. Honestly, that's probably the only time they ended up blessing the sacrament (in hindsight), but it added a lot of stress that I just didn't need at the time.

But with everything starting to go back to normal, it's time to face the issue head on and make sure we're all on the same page.

All in all, the day went well, and there were fewer mishaps and potential issues than there could have been.

Weekly Mileage 

Monday-                                            1.5 hours outside
Tuesday- 1.38 miles hiked                  .5 hours outside
Wednesday- 1.60 miles run                 .5 hours outside
Thursday- 1.07 miles hiked                 .5 hours outside 
Saturday- 2.03 miles run                   .5 hours outside
       total- 6.08 miles             3.5 hours

2021 totals
78.5 outside hours
142.30 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment