Monday, April 19, 2021

Weekly Mileage #212 and More Zip Lining

the trees are leafing out

Monday I spent the morning in bed resting. My sleep schedule is off from too many late nights working. The afternoon was maker time. I made a bucket for an order, then worked some more on my gathering pockets. They're getting closer, but still not quite right. I also worked on a simple bracelet design, but I need to get more beads before I do more with them.

I went to Scouts with Sunshine, then went to bed early, though I went down a rabbit hole just as I was going to sleep and missed my sleep window, further perpetuating my sleep problems.

The rabbit hole- I'd done some research earlier into another homeschool conference I might attend as a vendor and found that the one in Ohio (it's a series of large homeschool conferences held in several locations around the country) got rescheduled from March to August because of gathering restrictions still in place. The other conferences are all in the spring/early summer, which is too soon for me to be ready for a large scale conference. But August I can do. The rabbit hole part was searching on Instagram to find photos of other booths so I can start thinking about signage, handouts, displays, etc. I found good info, but should have just held the thought for later and gone to sleep. 

Tuesday I went for a short walk with Max. Short is better than not going at all. I struggled to get moving because of another crappy night of sleep. After that was music lessons and speech therapy. I had planned on going grocery shopping, but the CRV battery was dead. I tried to use the charging bank, but it was dead and even when plugged in, it never charged enough to jump the car. I thought about using the RV, but when I called Jeremy at work, he said it was dead too. And we can't jump a vehicle with the Camry, since it's a hybrid(though he's since figured out how to use the Camry to jump the CRV- it is possible). Jeremy rushed off to pick up the groceries, then called a friend to give us a jump. He went to an auto supply store to get the battery checked, and it looks like the alternator died. Yay.

the pocket on the left is the improved version, the one on the right is the design that was lacking

Since I missed the shopping window (I wasn't about to go in the late afternoon and deal with traffic on the roads and in the stores), I headed down to the basement to finish off some projects. I tried something new for the pocket, and finally got it to work how I wanted it to. I also made a leather bag for my sister to use to hold lead pellets for high school physics experiments. 

I put interior flaps on either end of the zipper to  make sure no pellets squeezed out the zipper ends

At almost 6 years old, Ocean is older than Sunshine when she started the violin (5) or River when he started the banjo (not quite 5). But he is a unique child and he definitely wasn't ready to start earlier. We've been talking to him to see what instrument he wanted to learn, and his first choice was drums. That was quickly vetoed by me and I narrowed his choices to instruments our music teacher teaches. He picked the guitar. After discussing it with her and doing some research, she recommended this guitar for him. It's a child size guitar that's supposed to sound decent, and the neck is also child size, not just the body. It's still a bit large for him, but he'll grow into it, just as River is growing into his travel size banjo.

He doesn't start lessons for a couple weeks, but he is excited!

Wednesday I took the car in to get the alternator replaced. Afterwords I worked on course materials (videos and outlines for next lesson). I also took a few minutes and worked on another set of pockets. Such a pretty teal canvas!

Thursday I quickly finished the grocery shopping that had gotten interrupted on Tuesday, then picked up the car just before speech therapy. After that was more course work.

That evening I had a virtual ward council meeting where we reviewed the plan for resuming the 2nd hour of church, which will happen in a week and a half.

Maxi playing with a bug she found. She likes to play with her food before she eats it or gets bored with it when it stops moving.

Friday I went for a quick walk with Max, then did more coursework. I ended up with four videos that needed to be edited together for next week's lesson.


I also had my first mammogram. My doc requested it at my checkup in January but I'd been putting it off. I finally decided to do it, since if I wait till after I get my covid vaccine, I'll have to wait 6 weeks after the second shot before getting the mammogram. Better to get it done and over with and not have it hanging over my head. I'm not sure what the big deal about mammograms is. It was a little uncomfortable as it pulled on the skin above my breasts, but I never felt squished to the point of pain. Hopefully that will be my experience in the future as well. (my results were normal, no issues detected)

Saturday Sunshine and I went zip lining with her Scout troop. This was the same place we went two years ago, but with a much smaller group. This time it was just a few girls from her troop, not full contingents from both troops. This was a good thing though, as we were able to move faster and do more routes. We had a good time!

I was there too!


When we got home, I worked some more on course materials (basically my life these days).

Sunday was our last day of church at home. We've stayed home since the beginning of the year because it was just too stressful for me to worry about whether the sacrament would make me sick. It was poorly handled the last time we went at the beginning of the year and it really stressed me out. With everything going on, it was just easier to eliminate that stressor when I knew I could have the sacrament at home without any issues. I'll go in a few minutes early next week to make sure the young men know what to do. As things get back to normal, they'll get back in the groove.

Weekly Mileage 

Monday-                                            1.5 hours outside
Tuesday-  .79 mile walk                    .25 hours outside
Friday- 1.00 miles run                      .25 hours outside
Saturday-                                          3.5 hours outside
       total- 1.79 miles             5.5 hours

2021 totals
75.0 outside hours
136.22 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment