Monday, March 15, 2021

Weekly Mileage #207 and Hiking in Shenandoah NP

Monday I worked on more course stuff. I've moved on to cutting leather for the materials kits, which is actually a great use of my scrap pile. 

I started bagging up the materials, but ended up ordering more (different sizes) bags because I wasn't happy with what I had on hand.

I also started assembling four kits for photos for advertising purposes. 

materials and hardware for each kit

Tuesday I went for a hike/run with Max. We accidentally went on a longer loop than I had time to walk, so I ran part of it. We both enjoyed it, but my hip isn't happy about it. I need to see if there's anything else I can do to help it heal faster.

After music and speech I worked some more on course stuff. I re-made a couple items to photograph (so they better match what the students will be making) then formatted and printed labels.

leather and completed projects

Then Sunshine and I worked on some Scout stuff. There's a Court of Honor at the end of the month, and Sunshine is close to rank advancement. She just needs to finish a couple things specific to rank and the final requirements on three merit badges. It's doable, but will require more attention to it than she's been putting in.

My new brass mark arrived. I bought this one from a different company from my first mark. This one is much thicker. It makes a good impression, but I'll need to make sure I have it centered under the press so it's evenly impressed.

Wednesday I went for a hike with Max and took Sunshine to the orthodontist before my accountability call. After my I call, I finished remaking a couple items then started photographing everything. 

This trail is covered in sand, which was washed up from the river below in a recent flood. The floodplain is actually quite wide (you can see the debris caught in the trees some distance from the river), which makes me kind of want to see it when it's that high. I'm fairly certain it was a flash flood, though, which isn't something I want to see up close and personal.

Thursday I went for a hike with Max. It was a gorgeous glimpse at summer: sunny and in the high 70s.

After speech therapy with Ocean, I worked on merit badge stuff with Sunshine. She's slowly getting there. Then I did more product photography, which always takes forever.

Friday we went on a hike to the river with our friends. The weather wasn't nearly as nice as it was on Thursday, but the kids still had fun playing in the river.

Afterwards we prepped for Saturday's hike. I had to buy a new backpacking stove (we have one, I even pulled it out recently, but I have no idea where it went) and food for Sunshine's meals to finish off her cooking merit badge.

I also ordered new shoes and swimsuits for the kids. We discovered that morning that Sunshine and River have outgrown their sandals and swimsuits.

Then I finally finished up my product photography.

Jeremy had drill this weekend, so it was just the kiddos, Max, and I on our hike.

Max had a harness, a jacket, and a backpacking pack. A bit heavy on the layers, but necessary. She carried her water, food, etc in the pack.

This area was covered in moss, and looked like it's a damp area. Once it warms up, I'm sure it's a bright green.

To finish her cooking merit badge, Sunshine needed to prepare two trail meals to be eaten while hiking or backpacking, and one of them had to be cooked. 



We hiked almost 5 miles in three and a half hours. We explored Rapidan Camp, which was originally Camp Hoover, President Hoover's retreat. There's only three buildings left, and they're not currently open since it's off season. Still pretty neat, though. 

there were several stream crossings, all clear of the water

If we followed a converging trail/fire road down the mountain, we'd eventually run into the trail we hiked last Saturday with the YM and YW.

Ocean being cute

It wasn't a super easy hike. It was mostly downhill to the camp, then mostly uphill on the way back to the car (like many hikes in Shenandoah) and the trail was rocky. That was actually the hardest part, I think. Rocky trails make for sore feet. The kids and Max did great though.

an old stone bridge in the camp built by the Marines

climbing on the giant rock right next to one of the buildings

Ocean was getting whiny, and complaining about being tired as we headed back up hill, so River gave him a helping hand for a bit.

Max didn't enjoy this narrow log crossing, but she managed to stay on it without falling (as did everyone else)

a little waterfall area. I'm betting the area below the falls is pretty nice to play in when it's warmer

When we got back home I worked on my sales page. I also realized my domain redirect/custom domain wasn't working still. I spent way too long trying to figure out why. The hardest part is figuring out the right questions to type into the help pages. Well, that and actually understanding what they're saying. CNAME, DNS, etc- I really have no clue what they do, even though I'm messing around with them. It took longer than I'd hoped, but I finally got it straightened out.

Sunshine heated up soup over a camp stove. Finding a flat rock to balance the stove on wasn't easy.


the gluten free english muffins were a bust (they really need to be toasted), but the gluten free bagels we ate on the trail for breakfast were surprisingly good, even untoasted. Canyon Bakehouse everything bagels, if you're wondering.

Cool twisted tree framing a small waterfall



fallen tree that twisted as it fell

Max is used to riding in the front passenger seat when I take her for runs/hikes, and she considers it her spot. She sat with Sunshine on the way to the park (though it was a tight fit), but Sunshine wouldn't let her sit with her on the way home since she'd been rolling in the dead leaves and splashing through the water. Max was upset about having to sit on the floor and sulked the whole way home. It was hilarious. Sunshine and I couldn't stop laughing.

refusing to look at us

She finally deigned to rest her head on Sunshine's lap, but still wouldn't look at us.

Sunday was brutal. I hate when the time changes. It always throws me off and messes up my routine (which I need so I can be functional). I was tired from the hike Saturday morning, I missed an hour of sleep, and I had a lot of meetings. It was not a restful Sunday, though most aren't these days.

Weekly Mileage
Monday-  1.82 miles hiked              .5 hours outside
Tuesday-  2.01 miles hiked              .5 hours outside
Wednesday- 1.82 miles hiked         .5 hours outside
Thursday-  1.97 miles hiked           .5 hours outside
Friday- 1.65 miles hiked                 2 hours outside
Saturday- 4.87 miles hiked             3.5 hours outside
       total- 14.14 miles              7.5 hours

2021 totals
51.0 outside hours
98.03 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment