Monday, March 1, 2021

Weekly Mileage #205 and Filtering Beeswax


Monday was another icy morning, so no hike. Instead, I finished gathering everything for our taxes. Blech. So not my favorite thing in the world. 

After that, I made a list of things I need to get done. I now have a list of computer stuff and work table stuff that need to be finished in preparation for launching my course.

First up on the computer list: I started designing new business cards.

Tuesday I went for a walk with Max. Everything's muddy from the snow defrosting, so we went to the bike path. It's really not my favorite though. Max keeps trying to chase all the cars that pass us. The constant jerking is annoying, and I'm just a bit paranoid about the leash or her halter failing and her taking off. But getting some exercise is better than none, and I double check her halter and leash before we head out.

After music lessons and speech therapy I had a call with a Pinterest ad rep. It was good stuff to know, but I won't do anything with it till April, after I launch my course.

I finished my business card design, and started the flyer for the homeschool conference I'll be advertising with this spring and care tags for products. I'm ordering them from the same place, so I want to get it all done now, rather than doing the flyers later, which would end up being more stressful because I would inevitably wait till the last minute to get them done.

While doing that, I melted down the beeswax our chiropractor gave me in a pot of water. 

I forgot to get a picture of everything before it started melting, so here's a pic of melted wax and debris in a pot of water.


Wednesday I walk with Max on the bike path again since everything is still muddy.

I jiggled the pot while it was cooling and some of the debris floated up and cooled in the wax (that's the brown crud on the right side).

I rinsed the beeswax after it solidified over night, then remelted it and let it cool again. I rinsed more crap off the bottom of the wax (bugs, etc), then melted one more time and put it through a filter.

1st melt and cool

2nd melt and cool

after filtering 3 times

Working with the beeswax was definitely a learning experience. Now I need to find some canvas with a good print to make my own waxed canvas with locally sourced beeswax. 

In between melting, cooling, and filtering the beeswax repeatedly, I set up for video, then realized that I needed to script out the first lesson, at least. I totally went blank when I got in front of the camera, which wasn't a surprise. The first lesson was originally just me talking to the camera, with closeups of different tools that could do damage. I also want to mix in some slides to add interest and variety, but I do need to have the voice over be smooth and thought out. In the back of my head, I knew this, which is why I've been procrastinating it for so long. At the same time, once I get going, it will go a lot easier and smoother. 

During my accountability call I got some good ideas to use in my course videos (less me in front of the camera, more powerpoint slides). Talking it over triggered a memory of a program I saw called Doodly, so after my call I watched some tutorials, and I think it will be useful for the illustrative aspect of things and for keeping things fast paced and interesting.

I also formatted labels for all the materials for my course: glue, gum tragacanth, practice exercises, and projects. Next I need to get several shipping boxes completely made up with tool kits, stitching ponies, and all the materials so I can photograph them and send them out for testing.

I started typing out the details for each lesson, so I can put together the slides for each video as well as the PDF that will be included with each.

Thursday I went to my chiropractor appointment (his last one as he's retiring in a couple weeks), then headed home for Ocean's speech therapy. Then back to the computer for more typing out of lesson details.

Max really likes her nightly belly rubs and will assume this position when we're ready to head to bed.

Ocean was trying to make a slingshot out of string and sticks taped together with masking tape. He kept coming in and asking for more tape, and I finally realized what he was trying to do. I had to tell him it wasn't going to work, and sent him out to find a stick in the right shape. He found one, but then couldn't find any rubber bands (which I told him he needed). I'm not sure why he thinks he needs a slingshot, but I like the creativity and can-do attitude. At this point I'm hoping he'll forget about it before he actually finds a rubber band. Ocean + a slingshot = a recipe for destruction.

I'm heading into that time of the month this week. I've definitely been dragging, but not as bad as I have in the past. The combo of meds and supplements and lower carbs is helping, but I still need to work on lowering my carbs. I can tell when I eat more carbs than I should- my brain gets fuzzy, I have a harder time concentrating, and I drag more.

I was tracking what week it was and actually remembered that I usually feel worse this week, which helped me stay on top of things. I've gotten better at recognizing earlier in the day that I'm dragging, so I can head it off with a sugar free energy drink. I don't mind doing that every day in the days leading up to my period, but I don't like doing it on a daily basis the rest of the month. I really don't want to build up my tolerance to caffeine and then have to increase and increase and increase how much I'm taking in order to be functional. If I reach that point, I'll probably have to be on prescribed stimulants, which I'm trying to avoid. Everything is so habit-inducing and walking the line between having a functional life and addiction can be difficult.

On Friday, Sunshine was supposed to have a checkin for her contacts, but she was never able to get them in. She'll keep trying, but if she can't get them in, she'll wait another year or so. She just couldn't get her eyes wide enough long enough to stick the contacts in. It does take some getting used to...

Instead, we met with friends at the church parking lot, but it was dry this time. In addition to scootering around the parking lot, we took them on a walk to the bike path nearby.

Afterword I worked on typing up lesson details, but I didn't make as much progress as I'd hoped when the cramps hit full force. I went to bed early to lay on the Biomat for awhile.

Friday night we got a little more snow, but it was really wet snow, and mostly gone by morning.

Saturday we had planned a hike with the YM and YW, but it rained overnight and everything was cold and muddy with a chance of more rain. We postponed it for a week, maybe two, depending on the weather.

Despite the wet conditions, Sunshine had her final Personal Fitness test for her merit badge. This particular merit badge requires the Scout to work out 5 days a week, I think, for 12 weeks. It's been a challenge for her, and she still doesn't love exercising, but I think she's realized that there's different types of exercise and going for a run every day doesn't have to be the way she exercises. 

I got an order shipped, then did more lesson detail typing. I'm getting closer to being done, but I'm still not quite ready to start creating the lesson videos. Technically, I could start, since I have the first few lessons typed up, but I want to make sure that I'm consistent in how I present things across the whole course. As I've been working on the later lessons, I've been making small changes to earlier lessons, and I'd much rather do that now, than after I make the videos.

~~~~~

This week I caught a headline about the lack of representation of characters with disabilities (among others). I didn't read the article, but I've seen similar articles/studies. My first thought was that it makes sense. Life with disabilities is not fun and exciting. It limits the things you can do and drags down plot lines. Not every disabled person can be- or wants to be- the inspirational character of the week. 

I started writing a novel 12 or so years ago. I haven't had time to finish it, but I do sporadically add character info, plot lines, and so on. I've toyed with the idea of having one of my characters have celiac disease or narcolepsy, but I don't think I will. It's tedious being the person who can't eat anything. And if that character is in a situation with limited control over their food, it won't end up well for them. 

It's become too much of a punchline for those who have no understanding of just what celiac disease is and how it's treated. And narcoleptics are another punch line: people who fall asleep mid-sentence. No mention of the cataplexy and sleep issues and the constant exhaustion. Again, it would be tedious to have a character who has to deal with that. 

I mean, I'm all for better representation and awareness, but I don't think it always works. So much of tv/movies/books is about escapism. Being faced with the realities of living with chronic health issues doesn't make for great escapism. Maybe for a secondary character, but it's a lot harder for a main character. 

Though I suppose it depends on the genre. An action flick with a main character who has to stop and make sure they've got the proper food to eat or who has to stop and sleep because keeping to a consistent sleep schedule is super important to overall health, regardless of what's going on around you, just doesn't work. Maybe it would work in a drama, but boooring. A book that's already depressing could probably handle a main character with chronic health issues. I don't know. Just something I've been thinking about. 

As someone with chronic health issues, it would be nice to see characters accurately portrayed with my health issues. But since I prefer more light-hearted, uplifting, escapist fare, I don't actually want to see someone struggling with the same issues I do. It can be way too depressing. I feel like I've got a good handle on my symptoms and my meds and supplements are working (right now, anyway), but I know that's not the case for many others and each day is a huge struggle. I've been there. I don't know, is that something that people without chronic health issues or other disabilities really want to know about? The nitty gritty details of the struggle just to get out of bed, get showered, and get dressed? Forget trying to be a functional person with a job or schoolwork. 

Weekly Mileage
Tuesday- 1.83 miles walked            .5 hours outside
Wednesday- 1.72 miles walked       .5 hours outside
Friday- 2.50 miles walked         2.0 hours outside
       total- 6.05 miles              3.0 hours

2021 totals
35.5 outside hours
75.14 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment