Monday, March 8, 2021

Weekly Mileage #206 and More Teeth Lost

River lost another tooth while in bed Monday night that's 5 teeth now!

Monday morning it was raining so I didn't take Max for a walk, even though she needed it. She hates the rain, though.

I spent the day working on my course lessons, but stopped in late afternoon for half an hour to chainsaw the pile of wood leftover from when we had the mobile sawmill out a couple years ago. I needed some firewood for our YW activity on Thursday, and it's a good use of that pile that's been sitting there looking ugly. However, I forgot how badly the chainsaw turns my arms into noodles. I don't miss the sore back from bending over, either. But if my back hurts, I know Jeremy's would be way worse, and he'd end up flat on his back.

Cutting up the wood into usable chunks is a good step towards clearing that area. This past weekend we realized we'll need to rent or buy a conex this summer to store toolkits and shipping materials for future course openings. I've got 50 toolkits, half of them not even in their cases, and no way to store more in the basement. And we're already tired of running into the boxes of bubble wrap in the laundry room. 

When the mobile sawmill came, we started clearing that area for a 3 car garage/carport big enough to put an Airstream in (an Airstream would be destroyed after one season of acorns dropping on it- our cars all have hail damage from acorns) and our vehicles, but after realizing we just won't fit in an Airstream, there's no need for that anymore. 

We'll still put in a 2 car garage/carport, but there should be room next to it for a conex. After running some numbers last week, I realized I need to enroll 200-300 students in the fall and about double that next spring to hit my income goals. Not only do I need to have a place to store 300-600 toolkits and their shipping materials, but I also need to spend the next 6 months concentrating on building things up behind the scenes, advertising (which is why I had the call with the Pinterest ad rep last week and why I'm attending/advertising at a homeschool conference this spring), and setting up collaborations to get the word out about my course. I'll attend more homeschool conferences in the future, as they start being held again.

After that half hour session with the chainsaw I went back to working on the computer, but it was hard to type with noodle arms. Oops.

Max's long suffering expression while I put on my jacket, hat, and earbuds (they were sitting in the backseat). She gets so impatient with me...

On Tuesday, after music and speech, I did the grocery shopping, then squeezed in a little bit more time on typing up the lessons for my course.

River asked for a picture of this pose- he's really enjoying climbing trees these days

Ocean wanted me to take a pic of this, so I did

Then I told him he had to give me a smile- such a cutie!

Wednesday the kids and I went on a hike with our friends. Too cold to play in the river, so we hit a trail we haven't done in a while, stopping by the old car and old house foundation along the way.



When we got home, I had my accountability call, then did more work on my course lessons (this definitely took longer than I thought it would).


Thursday was more lesson work. Then we had a YW activity at a local park. We roasted marshmallows over a small fire (in a bbq grate because the shelter with the fireplace was being used by a Cub Scout pack) and tried to stay warm while social distancing. 

The tree in the water, with the roots showing, wasn't in that spot earlier. It was washed down the river in one of the (flash?) floods that have happened down here.


Friday I went on a hike with Max and my friend C, then got back to the computer.


Saturday morning we held our YM/YW hike that we had to postpone last week. We had 20 people show up, so we split into two groups of 10. We were happy with the turnout and glad we didn't do it last week (aside from the rain), the water level was still a little high. We all got our feet a little wet- there was no way to cross without doing so. This is a hike we've done before, but not for at least a year. 


When we returned home, I started cutting leather for materials kits.

Ocean was taking random pictures with my phone. While a little blurry, I thought this was actually a pretty good picture of me.

Weekly Mileage
Monday-                                          .5 hours outside
Tuesday- 1.77 miles hiked              .5 hours outside
Wednesday- 2.71 miles hiked         2 hours outside
Thursday-                                       1 hour outside
Friday- 1.83 miles hiked                 2 hours outside
Saturday- 2.44 miles hiked            2.5 hours outside
       total- 8.75 miles              8.0 hours

2021 totals
43.5 outside hours
83.89 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment