Monday, February 15, 2021

Weekly Mileage #203 and Fast Internet

I held off on editing the product photos I took on Saturday till I had my new laptop set up. Unfortunately, when I looked at them on Monday, I didn't love them. I took them with my cell phone, and the quality was just not up-to-snuff, so I decided to re-do them with my nice camera.

I also scheduled our internet install, which is set for Wednesday! Between my new laptop and faster internet, I'm really hoping I can get photos uploaded a lot faster- product listings, blog posts, etc, as well as edit photos a lot faster. These tasks have been taking forever, which is not an efficient use of my time.

After taking new product photos, I started editing them, which was a bit faster with the new computer, but still slow with our super slow internet (I use picmonkey.com to edit photos, so I have to upload and download photos to the site. I did some, then decided to hold off on the rest of them until our internet is upgraded.

Tuesday I walked with Max, which was easier on my hip than running, and better than nothing, but I should have walked on Monday as well so Max wouldn't be quite so rambunctious.

After music lessons and speech therapy, I worked on product listings. Writing takes less bandwidth than photo editing and I need to get them done as quick as possible so I can get back to course stuff.

Tuesday Jeremy lost his keys. He'd used them to unlock the trailer after a dump run, and they never made it back into his pocket.

I went into town to run an errand shortly after he finished, so they may have gotten lost along the way. He retraced my route, but couldn't find them.

Wednesday I took Max for a walk, and while driving there, I managed to find the car keys Jeremy had lost. There was an odd shape poking up in the middle of the road about a mile from our house. I pulled over quick and checked, just on the off chance it was the keys, and it was what was left of them (which we knew was a distinct possibility). They must have been on top of the back of the car or sitting on the hitch, and fell off while I was driving. 

Both fobs are totally smashed and unusable, but his house key is only a little worse for wear. At least we know where they are and don't have to keep looking for them. It's especially good since it's supposed to rain and snow a lot over the next week or so and we probably wouldn't find them after that. The unfortunate thing about these fancy key fobs that allow us to lock our cars without touching them? They cost a couple hundred bucks to replace.

all the pieces I found scattered on the road. the bar thing next to the red and gray buttons is all that's left of the trailer hitch lock

Wednesday I walked with Max and after lunch our new internet got hooked up! Uploading photos to my site takes seconds rather than minutes (10+, assuming they didn't time out completely and have to be restarted). After that was done, I canceled our super slow DSL internet.

Then I edited photos and uploaded them to their listings. So much quicker.

I didn't sleep well because I ate some sugar too close to bed, then when I did fall asleep, I woke up coughing because my throat was super dry. I may need to start using a humidifier at night.

Thursday I edited a lot of photos. It really is so much faster! Then I uploaded them to the product listings, which took seconds to upload 10 photos, versus 10 + minutes for 3 at a time, which is all our old connection could handle.

That evening I rearranged the living room since the modem connects to the cable coaxial which is on the other side of the room from the phone jack. The cabinet with our printer needs to be where the modem is so the printer can be plugged into it, which allows us to print wirelessly from any computer.

Friday we woke up to another 4+ inches (I think, I never got around to measuring) of snow. Yay!


That morning marked two weeks of wearing the heart monitor. I took it off, boxed it up, then snowshoed out to the mailbox to put it in the mailbox. The adhesive on the monitor never did bother me too much- some irritation on the outside edges, which had a different adhesive, but only a minor irritant. Pretty impressive, given how badly I react to bandaids and medical tape. 


This snow was much better for snowshoeing, though not really deep enough. It was still fun to do and the boys and Max accompanied me.

 Max managed to wriggle out of her harness while I was shoveling the front steps. She ran around the neighborhood for 10-15 minutes before coming back for the squeaky toy Jeremy was squeaking on the front porch. She ran up on the porch and we shut the gate behind her. Good thing we have those gates. I'll have to be more careful that the harness is snug when I take her out and not get distracted while she's wearing it.

looks like the edge of some woods, but it's just the neighbor's tree line- very picturesque, right?

After that, I worked on the back end of my site, making sure the settings were right and doing one last check of the products before setting them to live.

Saturday it was supposed to snow a lot more, but we just got some sleet, which left ice everywhere. We didn't lose power, though, unlike a lot of people.

I'm pretty much finished setting up the back end of my shop. There's some things that need to be done still, but I can do them later. I need to write a blog post or two and double check my expenses for each item (and therefore the sales price), and do a basic email sequence for those who sign up for my newsletter (I think I have this done already for my old site, so hopefully I just need to copy and paste), and then I'm calling it good on the site. 

Once those are done, I need to write an Instagram post talking about the name change, rename my Instagram account, and start linking to my shop. Then it will be time to pivot back to my course and start making course videos.

Sunday after church, I worked on catching up on blog posts (mostly uploading photos), which is so much quicker with our new internet. If you want to read all the posts I caught up on, go to this post and work your way forward.

We finally got the paperwork on Jeremy's VA disability rating on Thursday. We knew it had been increased, but we weren't sure if it included his last two evaluations. Paperwork shows that everything has been factored in, and we now have his final rating, which is 80%. Not as high as we'd hoped (from a financial perspective- a 100% disability rating receives almost twice what an 80% disability rating does each month), but after doing some research, we've realized that it's pretty hard to get 100%.

All his individual ratings add up to 130%, but VA math doesn't work that way. Seriously, it's a thing. Check out this article, which also explains how to figure out your actual %, and links to the chart used. So he's at 80%. The percentage rating on his back (his highest rated injury) would have to increase a lot just to get to 90%.

looking up our driveway

I haven't run at all this week and have only gone for a few walks. My hip is feeling better, but it's still painful. At least this rest period is coinciding with wet weather that keeps us from the trails. Max is not appreciating the lack of exercise though.

Weekly Mileage
Tuesday- 1.77 miles walked            .5 hours outside
Wednesday- 1.79 miles walked       .5 hours outside
Friday- .25 miles snowshoed         .5 hours outside
       total- 3.81 miles              1.5 hours

2021 totals
30.5 outside hours
61.91 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment