Monday, February 24, 2020

Weekly Mileage #152 and the Three Day Headache


Monday I didn't feel great, but I went for a trail run anyway before doing the grocery shopping. I did feel better afterwards, which I knew I would, which is why I did pushed through.

In the afternoon, Jeremy went to the DC area to a computer store to look for a part for his computer (the kids have dropped it one too many times), and the kiddos all went with him (he's the fun parent, not me). They got back late, and I told the boys to get upstairs to bed. This is what they did instead.


Tuesday the weather was good (ie, not freezing), so I worked on the large chicken run. I've been meaning to do it for some time, but just didn't have the time. I used wire to close up some gaps in the fencing that had gotten bigger when the tree fell on the fence. I didn't think it was that hard of work, but apparently yanking on heavy duty wire to tighten it was more tiring than I'd expected. I was more wiped out that evening and the next day than I thought I'd be. It's a bit discouraging. At least the girls really enjoyed having a larger space to scratch around in.

Wednesday Ocean and I went to the fire station for a preschool field trip. Always a hit with little boys, even if we did just go a couple weeks ago.


We recently had a load of mulch delivered (via ChipDrop- it's free!), and the boys have been having lots of fun playing in the pile.


Thursday I went for a hike with River while Ocean did a makeup preschool day.


This hole wasn't quite big enough for River to fit in, but he tried.


After we picked up Ocean, we went to a trampoline place with some homeschool friends. The boys had lots of fun. River was his usual cautious self at first, but after he did that first jump into the foam pit, he was hooked. Usually if he gives something a try, he realizes it's fun and not something to be worried about/scared of.




Sunshine missed out on this fun since she went with Jeremy to the VA for a couple appointments.

Jeremy had a 3 day drill from Friday to Sunday. His Reserve unit does this a lot, but it allows them to take a month or two off during the year, so it's a trade-off.

I almost drove to Pennsylvania Friday to attend an RV show, but I heard back from our guy at the RV dealership and he said the trailer we want to look at wasn't going to be at the RV show. So no need to make that drive. Which was fine, since I stayed home with a headache instead.

The headache lasted through Sunday night, unfortunately. It made for a remarkably unproductive weekend. I've also been having insomnia, which makes life extra fun and exhausting. I'm seriously considering going back to my sleep doc for some meds- several people in one of my groups were mentioning that they'd finally been able to lose weight since starting one of the night time meds. I haven't been eating as well as I should, and for me, carbs equates to extra pounds. But I need to give keto another go before I do that. One more chance to get my symptoms under control.


The boys went to a birthday party Saturday morning and got their faces painted. They both picked what they wanted, and were happy with it :)



Sunday was a fun day of juggling responsibilities, as it always is when it's a drill weekend. At least Sunshine can watch the boys while I go to ward council. Last time I was a member of the ward council, I had to resort to finding people I could drop Sunshine off with so I could go to my meetings (Jeremy was deployed that time).

I got the boys ready for church, then got ready myself, only to find that Ocean had decided to eat an orange and had gotten orange juice all down the front of his white shirt. Thankfully he has two white button down shirts and the other was clean. I changed Ocean and Sunshine was given strict instructions to keep him clean.

I went to ward council, left a few minutes early, returned home for the kiddos, and got back to church just in time for sacrament meeting. The first thing Ocean said to me when I arrived home to pick them up was "I stayed clean, Mommy!" And he did. Of course, this is also the kiddo who took his shoes and socks off during sacrament meeting (not the first time) and ran around bare foot the rest of the day. Yes, he's our semi-feral child.

We had ward conference and stake YW leaders were visiting, but I missed the first 15-20 minutes of YW because River had scripture in Primary, and then I got waylaid in the hall. After church the YW presidency were supposed to meet with the stake YW leaders, but we decided to postpone the meeting since we're getting ready to change up my counselors. So instead of jumping from that meeting to ward youth council, I just had to go to ward youth council. Sunshine took the boys to the nursery and it worked out pretty well. I was happy to get back home and relax a bit, though.

~~~~~

Before the three day headache hit, I did manage to have some thoughts.

Thinking about leadership:
I listen to a variety of podcasts, usually while driving or running. A recent episode (I don't remember which podcast) about leadership and leading a team as you build your business got me thinking. I haven't worked outside the home in 14 years, since we moved to California when I was pregnant with Sunshine.

I'm currently building my businesses and have one contract worker who works for me. Eventually I will need to hire more people if I want to grow my businesses and increase my income. I don't have the business experience of some people, but I do actually have quite a bit of leadership experience.

Just in the 9 years we've lived in our house:
I was the first Relief Society president when our ward was organized and I had to set up all the systems and organizations and all the things that we take for granted since we were starting from scratch.

I ran our Cub Scout Pack for 5 years as the committee chair. I wasn't supposed to run it, but we had a series of lackluster Cub Masters, so it fell on me to keep things running as smoothly as possible for the boys.

I was a counselor in the Primary presidency and worked with the under-12 kids.

I'm now the Young Women's president, ushering the YW into the new program and helping them learn to lead.

I've learned to delegate, to follow up, to lead, what to worry about, and what not to worry about. It all translates well to business leadership.

Weekly Mileage
Monday- 2.08 mile trail run
Thursday- 2.38 mile hike
total- 13.00 miles

2020 totals
8 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
32.20 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
4.50 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
40.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
76.70 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment