Monday, February 10, 2020

Weekly Mileage #150 and the Scout Campout


Monday I was feeling tired and a bit under the weather. So while I thought about a run, I just ended up hiking. I felt better by the end, but my foot was sore.

I cleared out my desk, gathering stuff for taxes, and reorganizing my drawers. It's too easy to shove everything in a drawer and forget about it. I also worked on a couple etsy orders.

Wednesday was Ocean's 6 month ENT checkup. His ears and tubes are looking good so we don't have to go back for another 6 months.

The doc was looking for fuzzy bunnies in Ocean's ears. Ocean said they were red fuzzy bunnies :)

I finished checking my email sequences and automations for mistakes and they're now ready to go live.

I was feeling exhausted- it's a constant thing, but this was worse than usual. I ended up going to sleep super early (8:30) and didn't wake up till 7:30. I haven't slept for 11 hours straight in .... ever? I woke up with a sore throat, but it improved as the day went on. Hopefully all that sleep will keep me from getting sick.

Friday after speech therapy we got ready for a Scout campout, then I worked on my website. Now that my membership site and email stuff is in place, I'm finally starting to catchup on my other tasks.


The campout was just the girls troop, and we stayed on the edge of Shenandoah NP at a cabin owned by PATC (Potomac Appalachian Trail Club). We drove up after dark, and while the road was really rough, we were able to park pretty close to the cabin, with only a short hike in.

we were right on the edge of Shenandoah NP, which I've always thought was quite isolated (the mountains will give you that feeling), but we could see quite a few lights from our vantage point

It was a very primitive cabin with no running water or electricity, but there was a wood burning stove that the girls got to chop wood for. And we brought a couple propane heaters for the rooms the adults slept in since we have to be separate from the girls.


In the morning we did a 2 mile hike with 1000ft elevation gain for the hiking merit badge. Not the easiest hike, but they did it! One girl struggled a lot, but she made it as well. Another girl was super impatient and kept hiking ahead, then she'd stop so we could catch up and then want to head out right away. The poor girl who struggled really needed those rest stops and couldn't just keep going. It was a good opportunity to talk about hiking in a group, going the speed of the slowest hiker, and asking if anyone isn't ready to go again, rather than if everyone is ready.


There was a giant chimney just down the trail from the cabin we stayed at.


There were several springs on this mountain and one of them has a pipe fitted to it so you can easily fill containers. That bathtub it empties into was at UVA back in the day in a guest house and it's said that Winston Churchill bathed in it. It's now known as the Churchill bathtub :)


The girls took turns filling the containers and bringing it back to the cabin for filtering.



While we were hiking, I also got to deal with the fallout of an Etsy order I mailed overnight on Thursday that didn't arrive Friday afternoon as it was supposed to. The customer was not happy. Thankfully it arrived Saturday and she loved how it turned out. I refunded her overnight shipping fee and will be contacting the Post office on Monday to get my refund from them. Thankfully I had decent cell signal where we were camping, so I was able to respond in a timely manner to her less-than-thrilled messages. 


After dinner Saturday night we headed home (everyone else was staying till late Sunday morning). After we got home and before I went to bed I updated all my Etsy listings. If you want a rush order, you will pay extra for it, and there are no guaranteed delivery dates. You can pay for expedited shipping and I will get it to the post office on time, but once there, it's out of my hands. This was my first time dealing with overnight shipping on top of a rush order, and it's just not worth the stress.

Sunday I worked on catching up on these posts. I've been jotting down notes, but haven't uploaded the pics or fleshed out the details for a couple weeks. Not sure when I'll get caught up, but I'm getting there.

My toe is still a bit stiff and sore, but I'll start running consistently again this coming week.

Weekly Mileage
Monday- 3.00 mile hike
Thursday- 10.00 mile bike ride
Friday- 2.12 mile hike
total- 15.12 miles

2020 totals
7 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
27.74 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
1.50 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
30.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
59.24 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment