Monday, September 17, 2018

Weekly Mileage #77 and the Boot

Monday we slept in after a very late night at the hospital. Noon checkout meant we had time to sleep in and still get everything taken care of in time to check out on time. We drove from the Cade's Cove campground to the other side of the park, where we had reservations at Smokemont campground.

After setting up in a nearly deserted campground (loved not having anyone close by), we went for a drive to check out Clingman's Dome. We did the hike last time we visited, but we knew that wouldn't be an option this time because of my foot. Last time it was foggy, this time the fog was even worse. The fog wisping through the trees does look very cool, though.






Tuesday we visited Mingus Mill and the Oconaluftee visitor center. I sat in the car while Mr M took the kids to the mill, but I hobbled into the visitor center, where River turned in his Junior Ranger packet and got his badge. Sunshine did hers last time we were here and didn't want to do it again. I sat on a bench in the visitor center while Mr M and the kids explored the gift shop, the displays, and the historical farm museum behind the visitor center.

the damage: gouged knee, bloodied toe, broken foot

Mingus Mill

Mingus Mill 

Ocean took this picture of River and I working on his junior ranger packet

River being sworn in, Ocean wanting to participate too




the view from my bench in the visitor center

Our reservation was for two nights, but we ended up packing up Tuesday afternoon and heading home, rather than waiting until the next morning. Crutching around with a broken foot was awkward and painful and put an end to our hiking and exploring plans. Add in Hurricane Florence heading to Virginia, and we figured we should just head home.

nice large campsite, and no neighbors near us, it would have been fun to explore the campground, but the rain and my foot put a damper on a lot of our planned activities

The hurricane shifted south, so it didn't actually hit us, but that meant it headed for North Carolina, where the rest of our campground reservations were for. We'd decided to just eat the reservation fees when we went home early, but they were refunded to us because all the campgrounds were closed.

more wispy fog as we drove home

Wednesday morning I called around and found an orthopedic doctor that could squeeze me in that morning. They took some more X-rays, then switched the splint for a walking boot. The doctor said I could start putting weight on my foot and ditch the crutches. It took another day or two before my foot agreed with that, but I've been able to limp around without the crutches for several days now. I really hated those crutches- so awkward to use.

my view for the week


I spent the rest of the week sitting as much as possible with my foot elevated. I spent some time emailing my friends and coordinating rides for the coming week. We missed the start of classes while we were in TN and NC, so this coming week we're jumping into everything with both feet. Since I broke my right foot, I can't drive right now. I'm really hoping I'll be able to drive by next week if I take the boot off (and then put it back on before getting out of the car).

For now, my foot still hurts, so I do have to be careful with how I walk, but I'm so glad to be regaining my mobility so quickly.

Needless to say, I did not log any mileage this week.

Weekly Mileage
    total- 0 miles

21 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
2.14 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
276.16 foot miles towards #365milechallenge
260.00 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
538.30 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment