Thursday, September 20, 2018

Arrow of Light Award made with the Glowforge

When I bought the Glowforge, one of the projects I had in mind was to use it to make Arrow of Light awards. I've been cutting them with a scroll saw, which is time consuming and fiddly, and prone to mistakes. You can see them in this post and this post.

After a lot of time (more than I really had available) experimenting, this is what I came up with. I'd intended to cut all the way through the wood, like the scroll sawed ones, but the wood is too thick for that to work efficiently. I like the cutout look, but I like this engraved look as well.


I've used pine in the past, but I used oak this time. I was working under a time crunch, so I didn't have time to try it with pine. I'll have to do that next time. I'm not convinced I like the oak on pine look, but it's not awful.



I only had a few minutes to photograph the award, and the light was fading fast, so the quality isn't quite what I'd like, but you can still get a good idea of how it turned out.


I do love the texture that resulted from the laser repeatedly passing over the grain of the wood.




Anyone in need of an Arrow of Light award?

No comments:

Post a Comment