Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Curse of the Crud

Ocean fits a little better in the cradle, but he's still too big

Last week I never managed to get on the treadmill. I just didn't feel well enough. I'm really getting tired of getting ill every winter since aside from feeling crummy, it derails my training and sets me back several months. Getting ill twice in a row sets me back even further.

Despite not feeling well, Saturday had gorgeous weather and I would have gone out for a run, except Mr M had drill and I was doing single-parent duty.

I've got the mud run this Saturday and not being able to prepare for it has been stressful. Yesterday I had hoped to get on the treadmill after running some errands, but I just didn't have the energy. So this morning, despite feeling crummy still, I'm on the treadmill (typing as I walk).  Just walking, not running, but at this point walking is so much better than not doing anything. I may not agree later on when I'm feeling worn out from the workout, but for now it feels good.

Since I'm still recovering from two consecutive colds, I have low expectations for this Saturday. Mud runs never result in my fastest times. My goal is to finish, and not be last. I've been last in other races (both very small races), but I'd like to not be last in this one (it's got a good size field of runners).

----------

Not being able to exercise has been doubly stressful lately because my weight has been creeping up. I can't figure out why since I've drastically cut back on the amount of chocolate I'm eating on a daily basis (it was seriously becoming a problem) and I'm not having any obvious food issues.

My best guess is that all those glutenings back in November and December have damaged my system and that's what's causing my weight issues. Some people have weight loss issues with celiac disease, but I've never had that problem: it's always been weight gaining issues for me, which I attribute my PCOS. My PCOS hasn't been much of an issue since the first time I did GAPS (as evidenced by the fact that I was able to get and stay pregnant with River and Ocean), but I think my hormones are out of whack again since my weight keeps creeping up. So it's time to go back on GAPS and try to heal the damage and balance my hormones.

yay
{feel the excitement}

It's a lot of work and the detox phase can be stressful as I try not to be too grumpy and cranky with everyone while feeling even worse than I did before starting GAPS. I'll have to keep reminding myself of my end goal of feeling better and finally losing weight.

I'm currently gathering recipes so I can make a meal plan and shopping list. Once those are done I can actually start GAPS. I had planned to start several weeks ago, but just didn't fell well enough to do anything, let alone think about lots of cooking. Add in the stress of potty training (which hasn't been as bad as I feared it would be), and I decided to hold off a bit longer. Now that I'm feeling better though, I do need to get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment