Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sewing a Sleeping Beauty costume for Halloween

Running

When I go running, I have two routes I use. They both start the same and diverge after about 1/3 mile. There's a hill in that first 1/3 mile, but it's fairly short, so it's not too bad. Route A levels out after the hill (where the routes diverge), and then is downhill for the last quarter mile or so of the first mile. The second does have a hill towards the end of the first half mile (the point I've been running to lately), but it's not horrible. From there, it levels out before turning into a steep hill for the last quarter mile of the second mile. That hill is tough.

Route B is also starts out pretty flat, with a short downhill followed by an uphill just before the end of the first mile. The mile marker is halfway up the hill, which isn't super steep. After the hill, the second mile levels out for a bit, then starts a gradual slope upwards, followed by a couple small hills. The last half mile has a couple more hills, but actually ends halfway down a hill.

I've been using Route A for quite awhile now, so I'm used to the minimal hills and the mostly downhill-ness of it. It's a nice, fairly easy mile and a half route. I've switched to Route B, and wow, can I tell the difference! It's definitely a tougher workout. It's good switch things up and try not to get into a rut.

Sewing
Today we bought fabric for LMS's Halloween costume. We could have used her chicken costume from last year (it's big enough), but since I 'm actually feeling somewhat energetic and motivated, I decided to make her a costume.

We went to the fabric store and picked out a pattern, which happened to be on sale for $2, instead of $9. After we picked out the fabric and I paid for it, I noticed that the cost almost came to the cost of a store-bought Disney Aurora dress. This is why I rarely sew clothes anymore- it's cheaper to buy them, and less time consuming. In this case though, there will be the satisfaction in finishing a type of project that I haven't done in a long time. And hopefully it will be better constructed than a store-bought dress.

The dress on the pattern package looks to me like a Cinderella dress, except it's pink. LMS saw the pink and thought it was an Aurora dress (which is why she picked it). In looking at the pattern more last night to determine the materials needed, it really started bugging me, so I pulled up pictures of Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, and sure enough, this is a Cinderella dress made of pink fabric.

Since LMS wants a Sleeping Beauty dress, I found one at the Disney store, compared it with the pattern I have, and decided it won't be too difficult to alter it a bit to look more like a Sleeping Beauty dress.

I have some other sewing projects (hemming Mr. M's niece's pants, making a new hooded bath towel for LMS, making a bag or two), so I won't get started right away, but I will start soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment