Saturday, August 15, 2009

I remember why I like to run

I went for a run this morning and realized why I've persisted in running all these years, despite very painful recurring shinsplints, collapsed arches, and difficulty breathing due to my asthma acting up again. It felt good! It hasn't felt good in years, but it used to, and that's why I've kept going. Now that I have orthotics and have had my shins worked on, my feet and shins feel a lot better, and as long as I remember to use my inhalers in a timely fashion, I don't have problems breathing.

It felt so good to run down the road, pushing LMS in the stroller. Because everything's been working better lately I've been able to start speeding up my pace. Even though I was pushing LMS, I was still able to keep a 10 minute mile pace. That's not super fast, but it's a lot faster than I've been able to do for quite some time.

I brought my camera along today, and took this picture while we were on our way back. From where I was standing to the top of the last hill in the distance is just over a mile. The top of that last hill is where I run to when I do two miles. Most of the hills are fairly gentle, which makes for a good workout. The last one is a lot steeper and definitely more of a challenge.
There's a hill just before we get home, and at the top I stop and let LMS out so she can run the last hundred yards or so with me. She's so funny to watch- she kind of punches the air with her little fists. She likes to 'run races' like her mommy, and I'm trying to do everything I can to encourage that.

I thought this was pretty- an unused horse arena full of flowers with a windmill in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment