Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A hilly bike ride

This morning DD and I went for a 10 mile bike ride with lots of hills, some long and not too steep, others shorter and steeper. Quite the workout, that's for sure. It was a beautiful day and the ride felt good, except for when I got to the top of the long, never ending hills, when I was ready to collapse. Gotta work on those hills some more.



After our bike ride I took a shower and changed. DD found my so-bright-it'll-hurt-your-eyes-but-that's-ok-because-I'm-paranoid-about-getting-hit-by-a-car cycling jersey and decided to wear it. Here's the result:
She insisted on wearing it for a good part of the rest of the day. I have a this jersey, and one in the same color that's long sleeve, and I love them. The paranoia is justified, I was hit by a car once when I was in junior high and running at dusk without properly reflective clothes. I was very blessed, in that the mirror of a van going 55-60 mph only hit my shoulder and spun me around. There was no broken bones, but there was some nerve damage that took several years to figure out and resolve (those were some painful years). I was definitely being watched over, though, since if either myself or the van had been a few inches closer to the line, the mirror would have impacted my head, and I don't think I'd be here right now. Rather scary when I stop to think about it. In any case, ever since then, I try to dress in bright clothes and run/bike only when the light is good. When I was in college I'd see girls running through town at night, wearing black clothes. Aside from the stupidity of running by yourself at night, wearing dark clothes and running on poorly lit streets is just asking to be hit by a car. And they'd act like they owned the road, and wouldn't check the intersections for oncoming traffic: they'd expect you to stop for them, even though you couldn't actually see them. Stupid, stupid, stupid.



Ok, off my soapbox. Last night I stayed up late, organizing my papers and such. I moved my filing cabinet so it's much more accessible and can now actually keep all my papers in it. Since I got everything organized, I spent some time today going over the budget and paying bills. As I thought, I have already spent more than I hoped I would on the remodels and we're still on the first bathroom. At least this wasn't unexpected. I had hoped it would be less, but how often does anything end up costing less than you think it will? I'm still debating about whether to go ahead and get the car seat now, or to wait. In looking over prices, they've already increased in price since the last time I checked. This makes me want to go ahead and get it now, before the price goes up even more.


I was reading this month's Ensign today and found an article about Family Home Evening and what different families have done to have successful FHEs. I thought it was rather inspired, considering that is one of the things I'm working on right now.

Dad is hopefully done with the plumbing now. He's had some issues making sure the pipes aren't leaking, but hopefully it's all taken care of now. If so, we can finally get going on the rest of the bathroom. We have one week to get it done before everyone comes, and we also have to do a few things in the downstairs bathroom to make it more usable (like switching out the toilet).

No comments:

Post a Comment