Saturday, July 26, 2008

Up date on goals

Today I finished removing the cracked grout in the shower and dad re-grouted it. Tomorrow we have to buff it or something and then we can seal it and get the shower put together.

While DD took a nap I went swimming. I needed to know how long it would take me to swim 800 meters (24 minutes) so I can sign up for the triathlon. Which I was going to do today and forgot about till just now, but I'll do it tomorrow because it's too late now. After swimming 800 meters, I swam another 800 meters, for a total of one mile. I'm concentrating more on my form, and I've managed to speed up by about 9 seconds per 25 meter length, even though it's a lot further than the 500 meters I swam the first triathlon. Yay me!

Other goals I've been working on: I finished reading the Book of Mormon reader to DD in English, so I'm now reading it to her in Japanese, and I'm also making more of an effort to read her Japanese storybooks to her. I sing 'I am a Child of God' in English to her, but I've started singing it in Japanese as well. I have the first verse memorized, but still need to memorize the other three verses. I bought the Conference issue of the the Liahona in Japanese, so I can read along as I listen to the audio files from LDS.org. Now I just need to start reading the Book of Mormon in Japanese and the first Harry Potter book in Japanese. Those will take a lot of concentration, though, so I've been putting them off.

I bought the gospel art picture kit finally, so this coming Monday DD and I will be holding FHE. We'll see if I can keep it short enough to keep her attention.

This past weekend I realized why I do something that I do a lot. (how's that for a confusing sentence?) Anytime I'm around my SIL's kids, I always find myself riding herd on them, making sure they're not wandering off, they're staying out of trouble, etc. I finally realized why. When I was 12 or so, my 2 year old brother wandered off during a family reunion. We were cleaning up after dinner and didn't realize he wasn't there anymore. He ended up being lost for 24 hours, and search dogs, men on horses, and helicopters with heat sensors were brought in to find him. He was found, and he hadn't fallen into the lake and drowned (there was a scare when they found what turned out to be a floating log). However, I'm now hyper-aware of how quick and easy it is for a child to wander off and get lost, or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment