Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thursday and Friday (I'm too tired to think of a cute title)

The first part of our road trip was spent looking at some lots that are for sale- working toward our goal of buying land soon. Realistically (financially) we need to wait till fall before we buy anything, but it's still good to get out there and look and see what's available and what areas are just not an option. Two of the lots are definite contenders, but they're 5 acres each instead of the 10 we really want (though my mom says we really want 20, based on my descriptions of what we're looking for). If we could find 20 acres reasonably close to job opportunities, at a reasonable price, and with the terrain we want, I would be ecstatic. Don't know if it's going to happen, though.


After that, we drove to a small town to scope it out. I'd found it on the map, but wanted to check it out for the setting of my book. It looks good, and it was good to actually visit it in person- I can visualize everything a lot better now.

Thursday morning we (DD, my mom, younger bro and his friend) went to the rec center to go swimming. My mom and I took turns swimming laps (20 minutes, 25 laps for me) and working with DD. It's been about 8 months since we last had her in a pool, but she did quite well. Mom had her kicking her legs and putting her face in the water, and I managed to get her to walk around in the shallow end without hanging onto me (a big deal, since in the past she's had a stranglehold on whoever was holding her in the water). Unfortunately, by the time we got home her temperature had gone back up (she picked up a cold on our trip, but her fever was gone Thursday morning), and she was pretty miserable the rest of the day.

She slept well last night and woke up feeling a lot better, which is definitely good. We went on a bike ride today- I loaded everything in the car and we drove into town to use the bike path. I wanted to do 15 miles, and I thought the bike path would be easier since it's flatter than the roads we live on. Not so much. I was in the lower gears (the easy ones) the entire time, which doesn't happen when I'm on the road near home. I got some great sunburn lines, too, courtesy of my sleeves, watch, and gloves. I even brought sunblock with me, but forgot to use it. Way to go me! I ended up doing just 12 miles- that was enough for now. I was wiped out the rest of the day- the exertion and the sunburn (which always makes me tired) definitely got me. DD slept most of the ride, which was nice, except it was a little early for her nap, and since she firmly believes that one nap a day is enough, wouldn't take another one later, even though she was still tired and not quite over her cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment