Thursday, May 15, 2008

Swimming

Tuesday I swam laps at the local rec center. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would: I started with the goal of swimming ten laps, but after I did that and realized it had only taken me ten minutes I decided I could manage the full twenty I need for the triathlon. All told, it only took twenty minutes to swim twenty laps. Not too bad for someone who hasn't swum in years! Ok, so I'll admit that my form is crap, and I have to keep switching strokes every couple laps, and I can't swim a straight line even with the floating lane markers right next to me, but hey, I have to be able to improve in something, right? My main concern is the chlorine. I have a lot of chemical sensitivities and last time I tried swimming laps on a regular basis I had to quit after a week or so. It was an outdoor pool and I was still getting massive, splitting headaches. I'm only planning on swimming twice a week in the hopes that I won't have a repeat of that. If it becomes a problem, I can stop swimming laps and just hope for the best come race day. Not the best scenario, but doable as long as I'm not actually trying to be a competitive triathaloner.

No comments:

Post a Comment