Friday, July 25, 2008

Post-reunion re-cap

It's been 10 days since my last post, and they were a busy 10 days. We drove for 14 hours to meet DH's family, then went to the reunion. After the reunion we drove to my sister's house and did some shopping and visited with friends before driving home. We got home Tuesday night, but I've been too busy to get caught up here.

We arrived at the meeting point a day before DH's family (they were coming from another reunion that we didn't go to because of my family's reunion), so Wednesday morning DD and I went for a 4 mile walk on the bike path along the river. It was nice and flat and even (not like at home where I'm usually half on the road, half off, and there's lots of hills) and I saw quite a few people, most of them on bikes. I even saw a bicycle cop, which was reassuring, since I was in an unfamiliar area. Part of me wants to live in a city so we have easy access to things like nice bike paths, but part of me just really does not like having neighbors right on top of me.

While visiting my sister, we did some shopping, mainly for furniture for my massage room. I hate the traffic where she lives. I swear it's worse every time I go back. The roads suck, the drivers speed big time, there's lots of construction, and there's way too many vehicles on roads that don't have enough lanes. Yuck!

On the way home, in a lapse of judgement, I gave a water bottle full of fruit punch gatorade to DD. She proceeded to use the gatorade to 'wet' her hair. She's done this before with water, to cool off, but the results are a bit messier when red gatorade is used. She had pink stains on her face, hands, arms, and clothes. Her hair was all sticky and I half expected her hair to get stained pink, but I think it's too dark for that (thank goodness!).

At one potty stop, the toilet was black (not dirty, just black) and DD looked at it and refused to use it. I didn't blame her- I didn't really want to use it either. The lighting was dim enough that you couldn't see in the bowl (on purpose?) and it was kind of freaky. We both needed to go though, so I set the example, and then had to bribe her with my chapstick (which she is always digging out of my purse at every opportunity) so she'd stay on the toilet long enough to go.

While we were gone Dad got the upstairs bathroom tiled, but the grout cracked (it claimed to have an additive, but it either didn't, or didn't have enough), so I ended up scraping it out today so we can re-grout tomorrow. Another delay in getting things finished.

I bought two Sandra Boynton books and cds on ebay a while back and they came while we were gone. They're great fun to listen to (I think I could actually listen to them several times in a row without wanting to go stark raving mad), and DD and I had fun dancing to them as well. She really likes Boynton's books. Ever since we got "The Belly Button Book" from the library she calls them bee-bo books, and she can tell by looking at the pictures that it's a bee-bo book.

I still have to register for the second triathlon I want to participate in. First I need to do my swim tomorrow, so I know what my time is so they can put me in the appropriate starting wave. Taking the past week off has me a bit worried, but at least my shins aren't bothering me right now. I also need to register for the half marathon and make a hotel reservation.

Last night I typed up notes I wrote for my book while we were gone. I finally made it past the 20 page mark and the 10,000 word mark. It's only taken me how long.... Hopefully I can move a bit faster in the future. I will need to go back and flesh things out with more details, but for now I'm focusing on getting the basics down.

I didn't exercise yesterday, but today I went for a run with DD. I had planned on just two miles, but once I got started, I was feeling good, so I did four instead. I could tell it's been awhile since I last ran, but overall it felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment