Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Catching up ...

DD and I went on a road trip this weekend, so I haven't posted in awhile. I meant to post about the bike ride we went on last Wednesday, but ran out of time before we left. In any case, Wednesday was a beautiful day- warm, a deep blue sky (I swear the sky is bluer here than anywhere else), a few fluffy white clouds, and (miracle of miracles!) not too much wind. I did the 5 mile loop once with DD in the trailer and once without her, getting my mileage up to 10 finally. It's amazing how much easier it is without the trailer. Of course, everything felt good that day- the tune-up was definitely worth the money, and my muscles are finally getting the idea of the whole biking thing.

I took the stroller with us, intending to go for a couple runs while we were gone, but that didn't happen. I did go for a nice long walk while visiting my friend R- she showed us around the development they live in. The developers have definitely done a good job there (not the usual identical ugly houses up and down the street). We stayed with my sister and her family one night, and she offered to have me swim laps with her. It was tempting, right up until she said they swim for about 45 minutes (I'm only up to 20), it's not just laps, but drills as well (would have been good, but don't think I could have held up), and it was at 6 am the day we were leaving to drive back home (I needed to stay awake while driving more than I needed the exercise).

It was a good trip, though. We got to see friends and family and catch up on life. I also did some shopping and spent more than I should have (isn't that how it always is?), mostly getting stuff for DD's room, but also some clothes. Found a great store that sells Pottery Barn Kids rejects (items that were monogrammed, but for whatever reason not sold) for super cheap. I bought DD a suitcase ($10) and a backpack ($2.50) (for the next time we fly, now that she's old enough that we have to buy her a ticket, she gets her own luggage and carry on bag), and bought some super soft baby blankets for $3 a piece. I just checked their website, and the suitcase retails for $69, and the backpack and the blankets each go for $29! Now, I do have to use a seam ripper to remove the monograms, but for those prices, I really can't complain. Movie night, anyone?

The reason I bought the blankets is our ward primary is collecting blankets to donate to some area hospitals. Apparently they're (the hospitals and parents) so strapped financially that some babies are being sent home in newspapers! They can't even give away one blanket per baby. Very sad. One of the primary counselors heard about it, and they decided we needed to do something about it. Everyone's supposed to bring at least one blanket to donate, and I figured at that price I could buy several. It definitely helped me appreciate how much we really do have- even when we've been 'broke', we could still afford proper clothing and bedding for our daughter.

Ok, almost caught up. We went for a run today, but it was so windy I only ran about a mile. We were running into the wind, and the wind was being scooped up by the stroller (DD didn't like that too much), creating a lot of resistance, so I didn't feel too bad about stopping and walking the rest of the way. Today my mom told me about a 50 mile bike ride that the Scouts are doing at the end of the summer. My brother is quite excited about it, and he and a friend who live not too far away started training for it today (they have to do so many rides of various lengths to work up to it), and I think I'll go ahead and do it as well. Between the two triathlons, the 50 mile bike ride, and the marathon, I'm really making a concerted effort to get in shape this summer. Now if I can just control my eating so I can lose weight...

No comments:

Post a Comment