Monday, July 19, 2021

Weekly Mileage #225 and Our First Karate Graduation

the blackberries are ripening


Monday I was still fighting the crud. It almost feels like its trying to be bronchitis- my lungs don't feel quite right. I'm doing enough that it hasn't gotten bad yet, but it's still there, below the surface.

I took Max on a hot and humid walk. She has not been getting enough exercise lately and it shows in her behavior. There were a bunch of mountain bikers on the trails for a mountain biking clinic and she was not impressed. She really does not like bicycles.

I finished up the computer and paperwork tidying that I didn't get done Sunday since I was trying really hard to not let my anxiety take over (because of the mask snafu in YW). For the most part I succeeded in keeping my anxiety at bay, but I wasn't as productive as I'd hoped (case in point, I haven't caught up on my posts again like I'd intended).

 I scanned and uploaded forms for YW camp then <finally>  cleared off my desk.


At Scouts I worked on stitching handles to buckets. I realized I need to bring extra needles and a pair of pliers when I'm working on buckets. I forget to, and broke my one needle wiggling it through the stitching holes since I didn't have pliers with me to pull the needle through smoothly.

an inchworm dropped in to say hi

Tuesday the kids had music lessons and the boys and I went for a hike while Sunshine had her lesson. After we returned home, I did the grocery shopping.

At karate, River got his final stripe, but Ocean still needed a little more practice. 

take a picture of me like this, mommy!

Wednesday I had my accountability call, then I cut and oiled more bucket handles, made a prototype bag for a possible custom order, and cut the strips for names to be stamped on for the YW camp projects. The materials for camp are all ready, now I just need to gather the tools to bring.



Thursday I finished making the handles and stitched them to the buckets. I started the waist straps for the pockets. Figuring out the lengths I need, then sewing the buckles on.

We were supposed to have our YW/YM rocket launch, but it was raining, so the activity was postponed. 

Friday I worked on the waist straps for the pockets again, then we went to karate. Ocean got his last stripe, just in time for graduation.

Saturday we had our first karate graduation. It was about two hours since we had 21 black belts also graduating and they each do a demonstration and thank you. We did our grabs and combatives and Universal 3 as a group, then sat down. The intermediate group did Universal 7, I think, then sat, and then the advanced class did all 10 universals, in succession, which was pretty cool to watch. It's overwhelming if you're just starting out, but if we learn one at a time and keep practicing the ones we've previously learned, we'll have them down by the time we reach the advanced class.

We advanced from our white belts to our yellow belts.

We had a long downpour not long after we returned home. Those kind of deluges are usually pretty short, but this one was unusually long. After it finally ended, I ran to wallyworld for some black polyester thread (I've run through all I had and only had black cotton thread, which doesn't melt) for sewing belts for pockets and to grab some last minute camp stuff for Sunshine.

After that, I worked on my display stand for the convention, then I cut a bunch of straps for buckets so I could start oiling them (they need to dry before I can use them).

Sunday I took Sunshine to Scout camp, then spent the rest of the day fighting off a migraine and didn't get anything done (once again, I've fallen behind on my posting here).

Maxie will protect us!

Weekly Mileage 

Monday-     1.02 miles hiked                       .5  hours outside
Tuesday-   1.60 miles hiked                         .5  hours outside
Sunday-                                                        1.0 hours outside
       total- 2.62 miles             2.0 hours

2021 totals
154.5 outside hours
193.17 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment